Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital grade or retail?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 202 Total Views
Hi ladies! I figured this was the best group in which to ask this. My insurance will pay 100% for hospital grade and retail pumps. What do you suggest I get? I know hospital grade pumps are bulky. Is this the only con?? Thanks in advance for your help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Loralismommy224
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Hospital grade is so much better! Yes, that's the only con, lol!
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Hard to answer without asking a few questions...Is the choice to rent a hospital grade or buy a retail? Do you have a choice of retail pumps, or do they only have one option? Are you going to nurse or only pump?

My insurance bought me an ameda purely yours, that was the only option. It's the cheapest double electric there was at the time.

yes, I think the only negative about the hospital grade is that is bulky. Using at home is great, but taking it to work or your parents house or whatever is a pain.

The first 3 months are really important to build your supply. If you planning on mostly nursing the first 3 months, and pumping occasionally, and/or going back to work later, I would get the retail pump. If you planning on ONLY pumping from the beginning I would want a hospital grade pump to make sure you can build a supply, at least for the first 3 months.

stepconfused182
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
I really appreciate your input!

My choice is to buy either one, paid at 100%, no renting. I am pretty sure there is a choice of pumps on both options but haven't gotten that far yet. I will be primarily nursing anytime I'm with baby but I work full time so will nurse at work. I will be off on maternity leave for 12 weeks, so will have ample time to establish supply. I had great supply with my daughter and never needed to supplement.

With that being said, you recommend a retail pump. I'm leaning towards the Ameda Purely Yours or the Hygeia Enjoye....thoughts?

Quoting Bethbeth:

Hard to answer without asking a few questions...Is the choice to rent a hospital grade or buy a retail? Do you have a choice of retail pumps, or do they only have one option? Are you going to nurse or only pump?

My insurance bought me an ameda purely yours, that was the only option. It's the cheapest double electric there was at the time.

yes, I think the only negative about the hospital grade is that is bulky. Using at home is great, but taking it to work or your parents house or whatever is a pain.

The first 3 months are really important to build your supply. If you planning on mostly nursing the first 3 months, and pumping occasionally, and/or going back to work later, I would get the retail pump. If you planning on ONLY pumping from the beginning I would want a hospital grade pump to make sure you can build a supply, at least for the first 3 months.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kayteebug93
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Hospital grade is so much better! Yes, that's the only con, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayteebug93
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
If I were you I'd pay out of pocket to rent the hospital pump for 3m. Have your insurancebuy the retail one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayteebug93
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
And what kind of insursnce do you have I'm jealous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)