Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here, need encouragement...

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 251 Total Views
So, I have been ep for 2 mo now. My dd has Down Syndrome. She has a good suck but was too sleepy to nurse, then blood sugar issues etc...so after 3 days and too many heel pokes and an IV, we gave her a bottle. I was keeping up at first but she was losing weight and then I couldn't keep up so now she gets half and half each feeding. She is gaining slowly, tolerating the formula well and hitting milestones but, I'm so sick of being tied to this machine and taking supplements and eating oatmeal, ugh ! I ebf my other 2 babies so I'm not new to bf, but Im not responding well to the pump and can't keep on a schedule . Every 2 hrs isn't gonna happen. I would like to try it for a few days to see if it helps my supply but when I have to go back to every 3-4 hrs won't it just drop again ? I just need to vent and a little encouragement. I'm not sure I can do this much longer.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JKuney
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM

You can do it momma!! I'm new to EP as well. I tried bf my oldest, and we couldn't get the latch quite right. I pumped for about 2 months with her, so if I can make it that far I feel like I'm doing pretty good! I'm worried about supply as well... I think it's just a natural worry that comes with the pump because you can measure how much you have. I don't have much experience, so I don't know that I can help in that department, but I'm always here to give some support!! :D You can do it!!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

diesels_mom
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Your doing great making it to two months! I also got sick of oatmeal , I now make no bake cookies with extra oatmeal so they don't stick in balls and I eat them with a spoon. Tomorrow will be 3 months of EP for me and I'm very happy with my choice. At 3 weeks I cried and wanted to quit so bad. It will get better. Make sure your getting lots of water.
momalee40
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM
It's really hard to keep on a schedule too. We have 4 older kids and with sports and everything that goes into keeping up with laundry, dinner etc... Before I know it, it's been 5 hrs since I pumped last. I go back to work next week and I'm already so tired I sleep through my alarm at night when I should be pumping. Sorry I'm so whiny, just need to let it out.
huneebadger
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

You can do it!! I am at 6.5 months now and didn't think I would make it this far. I was pumping every 2-3 hours and now I am doing it every 4-5 hours and I have enough milk for my dd with some extra that I freeze. I never thought I would get on a schedule, but I have, I pump around 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm and between 3-5am (whenever I wake up). I only have one child so I can see how it would be hard to stick to a schedule. I make pumping my priority over laundry and cleaning!! That may not be an option for you with such a large family. Could your older children help out around the house?

Try adding things to the oatmeal, I have added apples and it was really good. I also add some brown sugar to make it sweeter and with the apples it seems like a dessert!

Good luck!

hnischke
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I have pretty much the same schedule. I started by pumping every 2-3 hours. Now I pump every 4-6(on a bad day).
I need to start pumping in the middle of the night again. I've been naughty. I had a massive supply and now I'm still making a little extra.

I've been EPing for almost 8 months. It's a lot of hard work but I will not use formula so for us as a family it's worth the sacrifice. My hisband is very helpful and supportive. We have our 8 mo old and a 3 1/2 yr old.i can definitely relate to busy schedules but I have an adapter so I can pump in the car if I have to.

Quoting huneebadger:

You can do it!! I am at 6.5 months now and didn't think I would make it this far. I was pumping every 2-3 hours and now I am doing it every 4-5 hours and I have enough milk for my dd with some extra that I freeze. I never thought I would get on a schedule, but I have, I pump around 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 9pm and between 3-5am (whenever I wake up). I only have one child so I can see how it would be hard to stick to a schedule. I make pumping my priority over laundry and cleaning!! That may not be an option for you with such a large family. Could your older children help out around the house?

Try adding things to the oatmeal, I have added apples and it was really good. I also add some brown sugar to make it sweeter and with the apples it seems like a dessert!

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN