Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm struggling

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 390 Total Views

Hi all, i have some questions about building my supply...

1. Right now I do about 7 pumps a day. But my amount usually is just 3-4 oz total. I'm trying to build up my supply,what can I do? 

I'm only pumping for about 10 min each time. Usually by then, I don't have milk coming out anymore. I heard we should pump at least 15-min. If I don't have milk by 10min, should I still continue for extra 5?

2. I'm trying my best to pump every 2 hours. If you need to go out, do you really bring your pump(and the cooler etc)  out with you? Where do you pump in public places? 

3. My baby is already 1.5 mon old, do I still have time to increase my supply? I read by 3 month my supply would become consistent. 

I really want to continue to pump, but I'm afraid at this rate, I will run out of milk!!! 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
huneebadger
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Hello, I started out by pumping 8 times a day, about every 3 hours. I pump for 15-20 minutes and I sometimes get a let down of milk after the milk has stopped or slowed down. I wasn't getting much last night and after 20 minutes I got a lot more milk, I ended up pumping for 30 minutes. I would continue pumping if I were you to see what happens. The only time I would take my pump was when we were visiting family or friends. I have not pumped in a public place yet. That being said, I am going on a trip for 2 weeks and I will be pumping in the truck if need be! Try to get lots of sleep (I know hard with a baby!), eat healthy and drink lots of water, also try to relax as stress does not help! Good luck!

Chocky_mom
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Quoting Kamph01:

Hi all, i have some questions about building my supply...

1. Right now I do about 7 pumps a day. But my amount usually is just 3-4 oz total. I'm trying to build up my supply,what can I do? 

I'm only pumping for about 10 min each time. Usually by then, I don't have milk coming out anymore. I heard we should pump at least 15-min. If I don't have milk by 10min, should I still continue for extra 5?

It is advices to pump for 5 minutes after last drop to increase supply. Oatmeal helped me with supply.

2. I'm trying my best to pump every 2 hours. If you need to go out, do you really bring your pump(and the cooler etc)  out with you? Where do you pump in public places? 

I take manual pump and pump in the car just to relieve myself. 

3. My baby is already 1.5 mon old, do I still have time to increase my supply? I read by 3 month my supply would become consistent.

Yes you can still increase your supply. Stay hydrated and pump every few hours till u increase ur supply. You will get more milk in early mornings. I answered based on my experience and things I learned from here on cafemom and kellymom.com

I really want to continue to pump, but I'm afraid at this rate, I will run out of milk!!! 

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I often pumped in the car while driving, which would save the time of pumping before I left and then when I got somewhere I would have a fresh bottle ready to feed. I didn't bring a cooler, just left the milk at room temp until it was ready to be fed to my dd. I also pumped in my car in parking lots when I needed to at church or at the beach. It seemed a lot easier to do it in the car than in a public bathroom or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)