Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pump 2x a day? White nipples/blood?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 388 Total Views

Usually I pump for no more than 13 minutes. Baby never eats for more than 7 or 8 minutes. I pump at 11 am and 4pm. Today while pumping I went over a little bit to make more. I did make an ounce more, but all I did was like 15 minutes each side. One nipple was weird shaped and purple. The other was red with blood and allmost numb. What happened? Was that too long? (the setting wasn't even up past halfway). Did I do something wrong? Can this mess up my nipples/breastfeeding/pumping and should I discontinue or just continue pumping for about 10 minutes? Pleaseeee help! :/

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You should be fine. It was probably just because you pumped longer than usual. Maybe try pumping at a lower setting next time.
huneebadger
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I use to get dark nipples, I read that it could be bruising, your horns may be the wrong size. I put a warm cloth on my nipples before I pump,it helps to soften them. Some people put olive oil on to help with the friction.

How long have you been pumping for?

PooBearr
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I recently started pumping twice a day every weekday, since late August. Where as before then I was pumping like once a week.

Quoting huneebadger:

I use to get dark nipples, I read that it could be bruising, your horns may be the wrong size. I put a warm cloth on my nipples before I pump,it helps to soften them. Some people put olive oil on to help with the friction.

How long have you been pumping for?

SerenityLilypie First Birthday tickersNikohl

L7-0
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Happened to me when I started pumping and daughter was in NICU. Lactation and NICU staff told me that was normal, that the milk was still fine for the little one, and that I was okay. That was reassuring. I used lanolin until I got used to pumping. It was probably only three times that I had some blood drops. Then it stopped.
CourtneyCS
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Check the horn size they might be too small or too large

EarthMamaMaggie
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Everything you described are recurring problems for me (I've tried every size and shape flange I could find) and what helps me is to break suction between my breast and the flange every few minutes. I unfortunately have to pump for a full half hour to get what I need because I don't have very impressive storage capacity in my breasts, and I noticed that the bruising/white nipples/bleeding tends to happen when my nipple and areola get sucked into the flange tube and the cumulative suction essentially creates a sever "hickey" for lack of a better description. If I break the suction for a few seconds every few minutes it gives my nipples a chance to recoup and the blood to re-circulate before the suction starts again. I found this tip online a few months ago but don't remember the site. Anyway, I hope this helps you too!
monkeybelle83
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I just started using the pumpin pals and it seems to help me.

Pumpin Pals

PooBearr
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much ! YOU WERE RIGHT !!! After about five minutes I take it off and rub them a little and dry them off then let them dry and wait for color to return and them to feel normal ,then go back on for a another like ten minutes. Thanks you are awesome :) 

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Everything you described are recurring problems for me (I've tried every size and shape flange I could find) and what helps me is to break suction between my breast and the flange every few minutes. I unfortunately have to pump for a full half hour to get what I need because I don't have very impressive storage capacity in my breasts, and I noticed that the bruising/white nipples/bleeding tends to happen when my nipple and areola get sucked into the flange tube and the cumulative suction essentially creates a sever "hickey" for lack of a better description. If I break the suction for a few seconds every few minutes it gives my nipples a chance to recoup and the blood to re-circulate before the suction starts again. I found this tip online a few months ago but don't remember the site. Anyway, I hope this helps you too!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
EarthMamaMaggie
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Awe, yay! So glad it helped! :)

Quoting PooBearr:

Thanks so much ! YOU WERE RIGHT !!! After about five minutes I take it off and rub them a little and dry them off then let them dry and wait for color to return and them to feel normal ,then go back on for a another like ten minutes. Thanks you are awesome :) 

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN