Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sudden milk supply drop?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 1100 Total Views
Okay, baby goes to daycare 8am-5pm, I do work 8am-4pm. I have school and can NOT miss class (pumping between 8am-4pm is out of the question besides 11am-my lunch, I pump then). So, pumping at 11am for fifteen minutes and as soon as I get home for twenty minutes, then baby eats as soon as she gets home (she does breastfeed at home, sorry I know this group is for execlusively pumping moms). So, I used to make a little more than 4 oz. each session. As of this week, I am suddenly making 3 oz. or less each time! This is extremely frustrating. I will have to supplement with formula soon:'( so why did it drop?! I've been pumping since August and my supply has been fine until now. At daycare baby gets 8 oz. breastmilk (now only 6=bad) and 4oz. of formula sometimes with cereal. So why is my supply down? I've been stressed lately but not THAT bad!! And I haven't changed diet or anything. Help:( she's 4m and I wanna continue with breastmilk until at least 6m :'(

SerenityLilypie First Birthday tickersNikohl

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Well the less you remove from your breasts during the day is telling your body you don't need it. It's supply and demand. Remember the ounce per hour rule. As long as you follow that recommendation your supply will be fine. Stress can also cause a supply drop and dehydration.
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Oh and that is still above normal for out put. The normal range is .5-2oz combined.
PooBearr
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Quoting hnischke:

Oh and that is still above normal for out put. The normal range is .5-2oz combined.

damn really?! i thought it was normal or a little below normal. well thanks!

SerenityLilypie First Birthday tickersNikohl

L7-0
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Been there. When I have a drop in supply, it usually comes after a time I've been busy. When I'm busy, I also tend to not take in as many calories as normal. For me, extra snacks, and a day or two of scheduled pumping gets me back on track. Also, I get tired sometimes (weary of pumping or discouraged when output is low) but even if I don't get much, I remind myself that when I pump today, I'm putting in my "milk order" for tomorrow. It helps me stay focused. Hang in there!
EarthMamaMaggie
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
What is the ounce per hour rule just out of curiosity?

Quoting hnischke:

Well the less you remove from your breasts during the day is telling your body you don't need it. It's supply and demand. Remember the ounce per hour rule. As long as you follow that recommendation your supply will be fine. Stress can also cause a supply drop and dehydration.

EarthMamaMaggie
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
The normal range is .5-2oz per hour?

Quoting hnischke:

PooBearr
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM

They obviously don't know what they're talking about in this situation so I just ignored them LOL. When baby does NOT eat and you pump you should make at the very very LEAST half of what they'd normally eat, and usually 4 oz. is the norm. My friend pumps for her surrogate baby she just delivered and makes 5-6 oz. I realized how much I make depends on stress level and how much I eat. :) 3-4 or 5 oz. is normal for when baby is not being fed. 

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Quoting hnischke:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
hnischke
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
The rule per hour is 1-1.25oz bottles should never be bigger than 3oz. It's generally to keep baby liking the breast better than a bottle but in our case it's to help baby from pigging out and then is pumping moms don't have enough milk. Also baby only needs an average of 24-30oz a day.

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Quoting hnischke:

hnischke
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes she JUST DELIVERED which means she is engorged and her body doesn't know how Much milk is needed yet. She will regulate and her pump amounts will decrease.

Yes if you're stressed you'll get lower amounts. It happens to me too.

Quoting PooBearr:

They obviously don't know what they're talking about in this situation so I just ignored them LOL. When baby does NOT eat and you pump you should make at the very very LEAST half of what they'd normally eat, and usually 4 oz. is the norm. My friend pumps for her surrogate baby she just delivered and makes 5-6 oz. I realized how much I make depends on stress level and how much I eat. :) 3-4 or 5 oz. is normal for when baby is not being fed. 

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Quoting hnischke:

hnischke
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I realized I answered to the wrong question. I clearly haven't had enough coffee :)

Yes that is the normal out put range. If you do more than that it's AMAZING!

Quoting EarthMamaMaggie:

Quoting hnischke:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)