Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby is 7 days old.... and i am Exclusively pumping....

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 329 Total Views
So before I had the baby I decided to EP, I decided breast feeding was just not or me but I still wanted to provide the baby with my milk! I had a C-section but I still started pumping that same day. since i am not getting enough i have to supplement with formula. as of today baby is 7 days old and i am pumping every 2-3 hours and i get any where between 1/2oz to 1oz each time. She is drinking 2 1/2oz every 4 hrs, so i am still having to give her formula. I would like to eventually just give her breast milk but am starting to feel like that will never happen! So im just curious if the amount i am getting is a good amount for only being 7 days into pumping and if any one has advice because i would love to build up a supply but right now im basically pumping then feeding! I really want this to work out but am feeling a little discouraged.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I would personally not give more than 2oz at this point because her stomach is only about the size of an egg. Which has a capacity of at most 2 oz. She will never need more than3-4 oz at a time since your milk will change as she gets older. I would also pump closer to every two hours. It's hard work but worth it in the end.
justineann
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM

her doctor said by next week she should be up to 3 oz!

melmybelle
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM
What type of pump are you using? You might want to consider renting a hospital grade pump to help establish your milk supply. Good luck.
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM
My son is 13mo and has never had more than 4oz at a time. The calories in your milk change as time goes on. Formula doesn't change that's why you up the oz. It's also done to protect your supply.

Quoting justineann:

hnischke
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Also doctors aren't that educated on anything other than formula. They only get about an hour of breastfeeding education during school. A lot of breastfeeding best practices still apply to an EPer

Quoting hnischke:

My son is 13mo and has never had more than 4oz at a time. The calories in your milk change as time goes on. Formula doesn't change that's why you up the oz. It's also done to protect your supply.

Quoting justineann:

justineann
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I have the Medela pump but I did rent the hospital pump for 2 weeks to try it out. I used my Medela today for the first time and i actually think i like it better then the hospital one! i got almost 2 oz in 1 pumping session, and with the hospital pump the most i have gotten at a time is 1oz

mommy2casidee
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I like my Medela way better than the hospital grade ameda

Quoting justineann:

I have the Medela pump but I did rent the hospital pump for 2 weeks to try it out. I used my Medela today for the first time and i actually think i like it better then the hospital one! i got almost 2 oz in 1 pumping session, and with the hospital pump the most i have gotten at a time is 1oz

NetteUK
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Hi, I've just seen your post so I hope you managed to keep pumping!  Just keep doing it as much as you can and your milk will come in.  Your supply sounds fine at that point

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)