Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need New Strategies/Encouragement

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 271 Total Views
Hey EP moms:

What strategies do you have for pumping while watching the little one? I've made it six months so far. Currently I put her in a Bumbo or bouncy seat and we read lots of books or play with toys, but I'm nervous for when Baby goes mobile.

I'm new here and I'm encouraged by reading your posts, long-time and new EP'ers. EP is hard work as you all know. I realize it's a choice to pump, even if little one was a sick NICU baby and didn't have a choice about breastfeeding. I'm feeling a little weary of it lately but still want to keep going. I'm the only EP mom in my social circle and I've bit my tongue when I've heard complaining from BF moms, who vent about always having the kid at the breast. I realize they, too, can have frustrations, but, honestly, I could have screamed. Instead, I encouraged the moms, which had a better outcome, I'm sure. But, for the record: Aaaaah! They complain about it while whipping out the breast for a feeding and, meanwhile, I have to part ways because I have to go home and pump.

Also, my daughter has recently started rooting at my chest, which confuses me since she never took on to BF after a 24 day NICU stay (oral trauma from respirator and frustration from oral medications continued at home.) She only does it to me (i.e. not other care givers) before bottle feeding. Has anyone ever seen that behavior before from a baby that gets EP milk?
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kman88
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Bump!! I'm interested as well but have along time until my baby is mobile (she's 7 weeks)

huneebadger
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I pumped for almost a year and just weaned. I would put my dd in a bouncy chair as well while I pumped. I also used a play mat like below or I would put her in her play pen.

Bright Starts Baby Playplace Pink - Bugs -  Bright Starts - Toys"R"Us

hnischke
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I've been pumping for almost 13 months now my son plays on the bed next to me while I pump. I bring toys to play with, hisn nuk, and favorite blanket. A lot of times he cuddles up next to me.

If baby is rooting try putting her to breast (if that is what you want). My son has found my nipples and has realized his milk comes from from them. He's noticed a drop or two on them when I finish pumping. He's licked at them a few times and says "mmmmmm"
hnischke
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I've read of a lot of women going from EPing back to breast. Join the breastfeeding moms group they can give a lot of advice if you're interested!

Quoting hnischke:

I've been pumping for almost 13 months now my son plays on the bed next to me while I pump. I bring toys to play with, hisn nuk, and favorite blanket. A lot of times he cuddles up next to me.

If baby is rooting try putting her to breast (if that is what you want). My son has found my nipples and has realized his milk comes from from them. He's noticed a drop or two on them when I finish pumping. He's licked at them a few times and says "mmmmmm"

L7-0
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Good ideas. Thanks!

I suppose if she is really mobile I could use the battery pack so I could move quickly if I need to and play hard beforehand so that she'll want to have some quieter time.

Maybe we will try letting her go to breast. I'm scared of her three teeth, though. I've seen how she bites the bottle.
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I know this isn't your questions.....but you don't have to go home to pump. You can go pump in your car and then return to your activities.

hnischke
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM
The teeth won't be a problem as long as you instill manners. I've taught my son not to chew on his bottle by taking it away every time he does. He's learned it's not a chew toy. It's the same concept at breast. Firm no and unlatch and put baby down for a moment.

Quoting L7-0:

Good ideas. Thanks!

I suppose if she is really mobile I could use the battery pack so I could move quickly if I need to and play hard beforehand so that she'll want to have some quieter time.

Maybe we will try letting her go to breast. I'm scared of her three teeth, though. I've seen how she bites the bottle.

hnischke
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Yes! Get an adapter for the car! I'm always pumping in the car, I just cover with a nursing cover.

Quoting Bethbeth:

I know this isn't your questions.....but you don't have to go home to pump. You can go pump in your car and then return to your activities.

L7-0
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Ever tried it in sub-freezing temps? ;)

You give me something to think about.

Quoting hnischke:

Yes! Get an adapter for the car! I'm always pumping in the car, I just cover with a nursing cover.

Quoting Bethbeth:

hnischke
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I live in Wisconsin and pumped all last winter and we're heading into the next :)

Quoting L7-0:

Ever tried it in sub-freezing temps? ;)

You give me something to think about.

Quoting hnischke:

Quoting Bethbeth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)