Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
Hi ladies! I just saw this group! I had a baby Monday the 9th. Breastfeeding is so painful and I'm having baby blues. So I want to pump for a while. Thought I'd join here. Any advice and positive support would really help. I will pump for the first time today. I got judged in another group for venting and wanting to stop so please only positive feedback right now. My hormones are too crazy. Thank you all in advance.
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zboys
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not in this group but congratulations!  I'm sure advice will be coming shortly.  : )

MinaPR
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your new baby!! I'm a strong believer that if you've got nothing positive to say, just shut up!! Forget the haters!!! I've breastfed 4 babies and it hurts, but only for a short while. If you have access to a lactation consultant, have them check the babie's latch. Go to Youtube and watch videos on different feeding positions. I've tried several and the football hold works the best for me, but every mom and baby are different. I'm in 2 groups because I work outside and I pump for my baby. When I'm at home with her, I exclusively nurse... What breast pump do you have? Some cheap brands hurt your nipples and could make the pain worse. I consider myself VERY lucky because I have been able to feed all of my babies exclusively breast milk for a year, but I also know many moms do not get that lucky. Formula is not poison, so don't feel bad if you need to supplement... Feel good because you are trying hard, many moms give up too fast and don't even try pumping, the fact that you are considering it says a lot, you care for your little one and want what's best for baby. Good luck!

charley31
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Thank you soo very much for your kind words.  They truly mean a lot.  Today is my first day pumping and I sadly have to supplement.  Im only getting a half oz on each breast.  But I am slowly after only 3 pumps seeing an increase.  My in-home nurse told me to pump and supplement.  Give my nipples a break.  She said his mouth is very tiny and I have big nipples.  I rather pump and keep my milk and then hopefully in a month or so I can just ditch the pump.  I don't think I am going back to work.  I never knew how painful bf was, if my latch was bad.  I kept trying and posting on another site, watching latch videos and having a nurse come out and she said for now its best to pump.  It was nice to feed my baby and not cry in pain to be honest.  My pump is a Ameda Purely Yours.  I got it for free becasue of the Obama Care,  Is this a good pump?  Thanks again for your kind words.  A lot of moms were jumpin on me i feel in a different support group like I wasn't trying.  I was and I am trying.  

Quoting MinaPR:

Congrats on your new baby!! I'm a strong believer that if you've got nothing positive to say, just shut up!! Forget the haters!!! I've breastfed 4 babies and it hurts, but only for a short while. If you have access to a lactation consultant, have them check the babie's latch. Go to Youtube and watch videos on different feeding positions. I've tried several and the football hold works the best for me, but every mom and baby are different. I'm in 2 groups because I work outside and I pump for my baby. When I'm at home with her, I exclusively nurse... What breast pump do you have? Some cheap brands hurt your nipples and could make the pain worse. I consider myself VERY lucky because I have been able to feed all of my babies exclusively breast milk for a year, but I also know many moms do not get that lucky. Formula is not poison, so don't feel bad if you need to supplement... Feel good because you are trying hard, many moms give up too fast and don't even try pumping, the fact that you are considering it says a lot, you care for your little one and want what's best for baby. Good luck!

huneebadger
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!! I too had latch issues and had very sore nipples. I was getting blisters that would pop and bleed and I dreaded breastfeeding. I kept trying with no luck and then made the decision to exclusively pump. Feeding time was a lot less stressful for my dd, me and my poor husband who would watch me struggle while my dd screamed and I cried. I used the Ameda Purely Yours and I liked it.

Good luck!!

Quoting charley31:

Thank you soo very much for your kind words.  They truly mean a lot.  Today is my first day pumping and I sadly have to supplement.  Im only getting a half oz on each breast.  But I am slowly after only 3 pumps seeing an increase.  My in-home nurse told me to pump and supplement.  Give my nipples a break.  She said his mouth is very tiny and I have big nipples.  I rather pump and keep my milk and then hopefully in a month or so I can just ditch the pump.  I don't think I am going back to work.  I never knew how painful bf was, if my latch was bad.  I kept trying and posting on another site, watching latch videos and having a nurse come out and she said for now its best to pump.  It was nice to feed my baby and not cry in pain to be honest.  My pump is a Ameda Purely Yours.  I got it for free becasue of the Obama Care,  Is this a good pump?  Thanks again for your kind words.  A lot of moms were jumpin on me i feel in a different support group like I wasn't trying.  I was and I am trying.  

Quoting MinaPR:

monkeybelle83
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I will be honest, because I feel it is important that you go into this with the truth. It is a reality that your baby may refuse to nurse later because they have developed a preference for the bottle. Pumping is a TON of work. That being said, how often are you pumping? Up until around 12 weeks you should be pumping a minimum of 8 times per day, preferably whenever baby eats. Also, it is important to pump for at least 15 minutes, preferably to empty in order to tell your body to make more milk.

Congrats on your little one :-)

charley31
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I'm aware he may not want my breast after this but I'm not making enough for him right now. Pumping is soo much work oh my god it's a lot. I pump every 2.5-3hrs. I wake before him and pump. I'm pumping at least 8x a day. I figure if he takes my breast again wonderful but if he doesn't ill pump for him. As long as he gets breast milk I'll be happy. I also pump for 15 min each time. Thanks for the advice. All I can do right now is hope he takes my breast again.

Quoting monkeybelle83:

I will be honest, because I feel it is important that you go into this with the truth. It is a reality that your baby may refuse to nurse later because they have developed a preference for the bottle. Pumping is a TON of work. That being said, how often are you pumping? Up until around 12 weeks you should be pumping a minimum of 8 times per day, preferably whenever baby eats. Also, it is important to pump for at least 15 minutes, preferably to empty in order to tell your body to make more milk.

MinaPR
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

The Ameda Purely Yours is a good pump. And "monkeybelle83" is right about everything she said. Pumping IS A LOT OF WORK! But is all worth it!!!! I have 4 beautiful super healthy children as proof, (and I saved a lot of money, LOL!) For me the biggest reward is to know that I'm giving my baby the best I can, 1 ounce, 2, 3 or 4 ounces, providing some breast milk is better than none at all. I have found this group very helpful, the ladies here have given me some great advice and I have been able to keep up with my baby's demands in part because to them and their ideas. So don't hesitate to ask and keep us posted on your progress!!!!!

MandiVG
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi there. Don't feel badly! I felt SO guilty when I started pumping instead of feeding from the breast, but I hated breast feeding. DD and I are so much happier now. Plus DH can feed her and my mom can feed her while I am at work without switching to formula. Once I accepted that EPing is what works for us it has been great.
monkeybelle83
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!! I hear so many times "Oh my supply is low, but I only pump 3 times a day at a week post partum" so I try to emphasize the importance of pumping frequently.

My son was born via c-section in July and I fought for 2 weeks to breastfeed. We battled painful latch and weight loss the entire time. I started supplementing with pumped breastmilk when he was just a few days old at the advice of a bad LC who didn't even suggest an SNS or check him for ties. Turns out he was severely lip and tongue tied, and was unable to transfer milk. Once we got it fixed I tried and tried and tried to get him back to the breast, but he refused as the bottle was easier. Broke my heart and still makes me sad. To stimulate supply you could try the sns with either breast milk or formula.

Quoting charley31: I'm aware he may not want my breast after this but I'm not making enough for him right now. Pumping is soo much work oh my god it's a lot. I pump every 2.5-3hrs. I wake before him and pump. I'm pumping at least 8x a day. I figure if he takes my breast again wonderful but if he doesn't ill pump for him. As long as he gets breast milk I'll be happy. I also pump for 15 min each time. Thanks for the advice. All I can do right now is hope he takes my breast again.

Quoting monkeybelle83:

missamandadear
by New Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I used the Ameda Purely Yours and pumped for roughly 10 months for my now-three year-old.  I exclusively breastfed him for 4 to 8 weeks, but I hated it.  He was on breastmilk for a year.

My advice to you is to set a schedule.  Pump every 2 to 3 hours, even at night.  For the first month or two, I still got up in the middle of the night (even if my son didn't) so I could pump.  You make a lot of milk while you sleep.  Another way to build milk supply is to do pumping "marathons".  If your child fed frequently, your body would adjust your milk supply.

So, you could choose to pump every 30 minutes for 3 hours one day or something like that.  You don't necessarily need to empty.  When I would do something like this, I would only pump for 2 to 5 minutes, just enough to get my body attuned to the demand for milk.  Basically, if you do some short bursts of pumping within a timespan, it should help with milk supply.

Try tracking your milk supply, too.  That might help.  Record time pumped, how long you pumped, and what each breast produced.

Also, I want to know more about the Obama Care free pump!

Quoting charley31:

See more of what I have to say at Moming About.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)