Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I give up

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 423 Total Views
I really don't know what else to do to increase the amount I'm pumping. I've posted about my issue on here before (which is not getting enough for even one bottle for my son)

I go back to work on Monday and it's just draining sitting here pumping when I'm not even getting a full ounce most of the time. I know they've said to relax but it's kind of hard when I see no results.

I'm drinking a ton of water and also taking fenugreek. I even bought a bigger shield because the smaller one was uncomfortable. My husband and MIL keep asking if I'm doing it right but what is there to screw up?

Also, it doesn't come out in streams either. It's only coming out of one place and just in drops. I read that it's supposed to stream out from a few different spots. Not just one.

Anyone else having this issue? I just don't understand what's wrong with me.

Sorry for the huge vent. I really want to be able to provide enough breast milk for my son and be have to supplement with formula.
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
r1b189ab
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM
Some people can't pump

What kind of pump are you using?

I hv a medela pump in style advance. My milk usually lets down after about a minute on the pump. I hand express as well. I hold the horns in place w 1 hand while expressing w the other... Speeds things up for me.

Are you pumping after a feeding or before?
Mlynn87
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:14 AM
I have the medela in style advanced as well. All I'm doing is holding it to my breasts and let it go.

I'm pumping after every feeding for the next one.

Quoting r1b189ab: Some people can't pump

What kind of pump are you using?

I hv a medela pump in style advance. My milk usually lets down after about a minute on the pump. I hand express as well. I hold the horns in place w 1 hand while expressing w the other... Speeds things up for me.

Are you pumping after a feeding or before?
L7-0
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Just to check all possibilities, are you on a birth control pill? If you take one with estrogen it will stop milk supply and make it almost impossible to make milk.

A hands free bra might help so you can increase suction and use the letdown button if you need to. It would also allow you to do breast compression if you need to. That always helped me. The pump is just suction whereas a baby nursing uses suction after the tongue depresses the tissue around the nipple. Hands free may help a lot.

Hand expression. Before and after is key. If you can get milk out while hand expressing, then you can figure that the problem is with the pump or pumping technique. If you have the same problem when hand expressing, then it may be hormonal or production issue. Also try fenugreek capsules (lots of it) or talk to your doc about a prescription to help boost supply.

Keep us posted.
mommy2casidee
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I'm pumping now only bc I don't have babies at home. I had twins as a surrogate in November and pump for them and the preemie milk bank. I nursed my girls exclusively for over a year. I never ever pumped for them. Let me tell you, nursing is WAY easier than pumping!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
L7-0
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Yes, definitely easier. I'm hoping that next time around baby will be able to BF.

Quoting mommy2casidee: I'm pumping now only bc I don't have babies at home. I had twins as a surrogate in November and pump for them and the preemie milk bank. I nursed my girls exclusively for over a year. I never ever pumped for them. Let me tell you, nursing is WAY easier than pumping!!!!
L7-0
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Yes, definitely easier. I'm hoping that next time around baby will be able to BF.

Quoting mommy2casidee: I'm pumping now only bc I don't have babies at home. I had twins as a surrogate in November and pump for them and the preemie milk bank. I nursed my girls exclusively for over a year. I never ever pumped for them. Let me tell you, nursing is WAY easier than pumping!!!!
L7-0
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM
P.S. Can check flange size also. I did better after switching from the standard Medela 24mm flanges to the 27mm flanges.

Quoting L7-0: Just to check all possibilities, are you on a birth control pill? If you take one with estrogen it will stop milk supply and make it almost impossible to make milk.

A hands free bra might help so you can increase suction and use the letdown button if you need to. It would also allow you to do breast compression if you need to. That always helped me. The pump is just suction whereas a baby nursing uses suction after the tongue depresses the tissue around the nipple. Hands free may help a lot.

Hand expression. Before and after is key. If you can get milk out while hand expressing, then you can figure that the problem is with the pump or pumping technique. If you have the same problem when hand expressing, then it may be hormonal or production issue. Also try fenugreek capsules (lots of it) or talk to your doc about a prescription to help boost supply.

Keep us posted.
Mlynn87
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I am not on birth control. I've been watching while I pump and it looks like it is coming out if more spots but just as drops. It does not stream out.

I will use all of this advise and see if I get better results. I just talked with my husband about the possibility of switching to formula only (we both felt strongly about wanting to give him breast milk) and we decided I should stick it out for a little longer.

It's really taking a toll on me. I don't want to say I'm depressed but it's so hard to sit at this "machine" for 20-30 minutes and not get results. I go back to work on Monday and I'll only be able to pump 3 times durring my day unless I can work out with my boss dividing up my lunch to make it two 15 min breaks and then two 30 min breaks for my lunch.

Thank you everyone for your advise. It's really appreciated.
L7-0
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 7:20 AM
I'm guessing you're doing at least one pumping session during the night? Keeping up with a middle of the night session signals your body that you really need that milk. You also produce the most at night. It's tiring, but I always got the best output at 3 a.m.

I only recently cut out the nighttime session because I'll be weaning in a few weeks.

Good luck with everything. Whatever works best for you is going to be good for you and baby in the long run. Your body will let you know what you need.

Quoting Mlynn87: I am not on birth control. I've been watching while I pump and it looks like it is coming out if more spots but just as drops. It does not stream out.

I will use all of this advise and see if I get better results. I just talked with my husband about the possibility of switching to formula only (we both felt strongly about wanting to give him breast milk) and we decided I should stick it out for a little longer.

It's really taking a toll on me. I don't want to say I'm depressed but it's so hard to sit at this "machine" for 20-30 minutes and not get results. I go back to work on Monday and I'll only be able to pump 3 times durring my day unless I can work out with my boss dividing up my lunch to make it two 15 min breaks and then two 30 min breaks for my lunch.

Thank you everyone for your advise. It's really appreciated.
preemiemom45
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM
I was going to write something but she touched on everything here. Well said

Quoting L7-0: Just to check all possibilities, are you on a birth control pill? If you take one with estrogen it will stop milk supply and make it almost impossible to make milk.

Keep us posted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)