Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe a dumb question, but...

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 221 Total Views
Is pumping easier than breast? I'm having my 3rd child and both times I've started to BF just to quit early due to the pain, mastitis, cracked and bleeding nipples etc. I'm a baby I know... But I wondered if EP could achieve the goal of breast milk but not be as painful? I don't know what to do :(
by on Sep. 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2016 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I think pumping can be less painful. Not pain free though.

But, there is a good chance you will not get your supply up enough to fully feed your baby with pumping only. Also, pumping takes so much more time. You will need to pump 8-10 times per day, every 2-3 hours day AND night. After you pump you bottle feed your baby, then you wash all the bottles and pump parts. When you go out of the house for a few hours you have to bring your pump, and pump in your car or carry all the stuff into a bathroom or back room. It's a pain in the ass for sure. 

BUT....it is a way to give your child your milk. My firstborn wasn't able to nurse, so I pumped for her. I had to supplement with formula. Then my twins were preemies and I had to pump for them, and supplement. It is possible to do, but it takes a lot of time and commitment.

MommaD181
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2016 at 9:11 AM
So pumping is going way better than BF. I started with BF but had to go on nipple rest because I started bleeding from the first feeding. Spent two days with a LC. She hooked me up with a good pump and so far I'm able to keep up with 95% of her feedings. I get between 2-5 oz per pump. My night and first morning pumps are when I get the 5oz and 2-3 oz every other pump. I am only having a little trouble with staying on schedule. That is because I have two other children. I'm two weeks in. Not sure how this will work or how long I can continue though with having to go back to work. I feel like I need to increase my supply to build a stash if I want to continue after returning to work. Any thoughts there?

Quoting Bethbeth:

Yes, I think pumping can be less painful. Not pain free though.

But, there is a good chance you will not get your supply up enough to fully feed your baby with pumping only. Also, pumping takes so much more time. You will need to pump 8-10 times per day, every 2-3 hours day AND night. After you pump you bottle feed your baby, then you wash all the bottles and pump parts. When you go out of the house for a few hours you have to bring your pump, and pump in your car or carry all the stuff into a bathroom or back room. It's a pain in the ass for sure. 

BUT....it is a way to give your child your milk. My firstborn wasn't able to nurse, so I pumped for her. I had to supplement with formula. Then my twins were preemies and I had to pump for them, and supplement. It is possible to do, but it takes a lot of time and commitment.

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on your new baby.

Yeah, pumping with 3 kids is no easy task. You are doing amazing.

You can try to increase your milk, or just be happy with where you are. Trying to pump 8-10 times per day, including during the night is the what will simulate a baby the best. But you have to decide what is right for you and your family. There has to be a balance between doing your best to make milk, and the kids need their mommy. So, you are the only one who can make the decisions. And try to give yourself grace with what you do decide.

Keep going momma! You are doing great.

MommaD181
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2016 at 3:33 AM
Thank you! So I do have a question... When I pump for the 20/30 mins at a time, sometimes I feel like I still have milk after the timer goes off. Should I continue to pump or keep to the 20/30 mins regardless?

Quoting Bethbeth:

It sounds like you are doing great. Congrats on your new baby.

Yeah, pumping with 3 kids is no easy task. You are doing amazing.

You can try to increase your milk, or just be happy with where you are. Trying to pump 8-10 times per day, including during the night is the what will simulate a baby the best. But you have to decide what is right for you and your family. There has to be a balance between doing your best to make milk, and the kids need their mommy. So, you are the only one who can make the decisions. And try to give yourself grace with what you do decide.

Keep going momma! You are doing great.

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2016 at 1:42 AM

Hm... I don't really know. My biggest thought is...you gotta go take care of your kids, so stop! But you gotta do what feels right. If you have time, you can do more.

Quoting MommaD181: Is pumping easier than breast? I'm having my 3rd child and both times I've started to BF just to quit early due to the pain, mastitis, cracked and bleeding nipples etc. I'm a baby I know... But I wondered if EP could achieve the goal of breast milk but not be as painful? I don't know what to do :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)