Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know this is all about Disney but...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 197 Total Views

Does anyone know anything about Universal Studio's?

My son who is 9 recently read the entire Harry Potter series and loved it. We were in Florida in October and spent 6 days at Disney, a day at Legoland and some time at the beach. We totally skipped Universal, as it was my first time going to Disney I didn't even think about anywhere else.

Well our kids have a 5 day break in February and we are contemplating running down to FL for a few days to hit Universal and Downtown Disney (and the beach, lol). Anyways, I had no idea that Universal is 2 parks. Can anyone give me the scoop on it?

If we don't go now, we probably won't be back to FL until late fall of '16, back to Disney. We already booked our vacation to Virginia this summer.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mbrowne1
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I've did Universal just this past fall and was blown away by it. It's not a 1 day venture at all if you want to see everything. I recommend staying on property to get into Diagon Alley early so you can ride Escape from Gringotts without too much of a line. Universal is a different beast from Disney but super fun. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. 

suroundedbyboys
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Thank you for the info! I think we are probably going to hold off and maybe go this fall depending on the school calendar. We took an almost 2 week vacation this past fall to florida and the kids missed 8 days of school. They obviously can't miss anymore school but I won't go to florida in the summer because of the temperatures, lol. We spent a little mor than expected on vacation this past fall, so we've decided to wait. Maybe I don't know, we still may go.
Anyways... We were planning on staying off site to save money, because honestly I want to do Disney again in a couple years while my kids are still young. Someone mentioned there are Harry Potter things in both parks? What is the difference between the parks?

Quoting mbrowne1:

I've did Universal just this past fall and was blown away by it. It's not a 1 day venture at all if you want to see everything. I recommend staying on property to get into Diagon Alley early so you can ride Escape from Gringotts without too much of a line. Universal is a different beast from Disney but super fun. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. 

mbrowne1
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 7:42 PM

If you are staying off property, be sure to go when school is on and not during breaks. The Harry Potter sections are the busiest so you don't want to wait in extremely long lines. There are 2 parks. Islands of Adventure is based on books and comics, Universal Park is based on movies. Harry Potter of course falls under both, so they can get away with putting it in both places. But with marketing genius, the only way to ride the Hogswarts Express is to get a Park to Park pass. And yes, the train ride is worth the park to park pass. In Islands of Adventure, HP is set in Hogsmeade and is loosely based on the first 3 books/movies. HP in Universal Orlando is set in Diagon Alley and loosely based on the last of the books/movies. I've only read the first books and seen the first movies but I still saw a ton of detail in Diagon Alley that drew me into the environment. It was a jaw dropping experience to be sure. If you have very young children, you may want to hold off more on Universal. There are a lot more height restrictions there than at Disney. Yes, there are great activities for preschoolers at Universal but for everyone to really enjoy Universal you want them a little bit older. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has a height requirement of 48". 

Quoting suroundedbyboys: Thank you for the info! I think we are probably going to hold off and maybe go this fall depending on the school calendar. We took an almost 2 week vacation this past fall to florida and the kids missed 8 days of school. They obviously can't miss anymore school but I won't go to florida in the summer because of the temperatures, lol. We spent a little mor than expected on vacation this past fall, so we've decided to wait. Maybe I don't know, we still may go. Anyways... We were planning on staying off site to save money, because honestly I want to do Disney again in a couple years while my kids are still young. Someone mentioned there are Harry Potter things in both parks? What is the difference between the parks?
Quoting mbrowne1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)