Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

planning first disney world trip

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 242 Total Views
And I have a few questions,I am planning to go in oct, does anyone know what time of year is best to reserve? When do the fall deals usually come out? Best budget hotel recs? And is a dining plan worth the money, they seem expensive. TIA
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bether89
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:25 AM

We have been in late Sept. and early Oct. the last 2 years.  I think that it is a great time to go.  I think that the fall deals came out in early may last year.  We have stayed at All Star Sports and Pop Century.  We liked both, but will most likely stay at Sports on our next trip.

jiffypop2207
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM
Have you ever done the dining plan?
coolmommy2x
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM
October is good as it's warm, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is going on as is the Food and Wine Festival. Because of those events, the parks can get crowded so book as early as possible.

We always do the dining plan. We do the one with 1 counter service, 1 sit down and one snack per day. With the unused snack credits, I get things to bring home with us like Mickey gummies,pretzels and rice krispy treats. We like to have lunch at a counter service and dinner at a sit down restaurant. The restaurants can be expensive...especially the ones in Epcot which tend to be our favorites. Character meals are also expensive so depending on where you eat determines if it's a value for you or not. For us, it works out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM
So you can use multiple credits at one time? Do they give you coupons to use? Or how do you do it for the snacks?

Quoting coolmommy2x: October is good as it's warm, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is going on as is the Food and Wine Festival. Because of those events, the parks can get crowded so book as early as possible.

We always do the dining plan. We do the one with 1 counter service, 1 sit down and one snack per day. With the unused snack credits, I get things to bring home with us like Mickey gummies,pretzels and rice krispy treats. We like to have lunch at a counter service and dinner at a sit down restaurant. The restaurants can be expensive...especially the ones in Epcot which tend to be our favorites. Character meals are also expensive so depending on where you eat determines if it's a value for you or not. For us, it works out.
coolmommy2x
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:03 PM
It's tied to the Magic Bands so at meal time, they just put your band up to the machine and it reads it. We use 4 meal credits per meal since we are a family of 4. The night before we leave, I see how many snack credits are left and they deduct it from my account via the band and then we eat Mickey snacks at home. You are given all of your credits up front and they're deducted as needed. Some meals "cost" 2 credits per person like Cinderella's Round Table and I think the luau at the Polynesian does too.

Quoting jiffypop2207: So you can use multiple credits at one time? Do they give you coupons to use? Or how do you do it for the snacks?

Quoting coolmommy2x: October is good as it's warm, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is going on as is the Food and Wine Festival. Because of those events, the parks can get crowded so book as early as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mbrowne1
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM

The earlier you book the better to get exactly the room you want. Certain weeks in October are especially busy because of school districts having fall break that month. Definitely book at least 6 months out so you can book dining the morning it opens for your reservations. Fall discounts the past 2 years have been announced in May but previously it wasn't until July. In other words, you never know when they will be announced but if you have a booking already you can try to get the discount applied to your room if it meets the requirements. A good TA will do that automatically for you if you use one. My best recommendation for value resort is Pop Century. Dining plan is worth it for most families but it depends on your dining preferences. The more character/buffet meals you want, the more chance it will save you money. If you don't usually eat dessert and only drink water with your meals, it may not be worth it. It also depends on whether you want to work around a dining reservation or not. 

There are so many considerations for a booking. Feel free to message me with any questions you have. I do this all the time and there is a science to planning a stress free vacation that maximizes your fun while minimizing your expenses. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)