Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL vent

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 172 Total Views

My MIL is driving me crazy. She used to be really cool, then after Hurricane Katrina she became deeply depressed and now doesn't want to do anything except hang out with my DH and I. Don't get me wrong, we get along, but she has no life! She's been single for 15 years and doesn't seem like she's looking for anybody. All her family moved to Texas after the storm and she decided to stay in Louisiana to be close to us. Ok, cool- but you still need to have your own life. She always makes excuses to come over "Raq, I cooked" or "Raq I picked this up for the girls". I'm like damn, just say you want to come over and ask!

And the thing that burns me up the most is that she will not see her own parents in Texas. It's been over a year since she visited. She has no responsibility, but says she never has time. That's because she's too busy being under our butts! She's in her 50's and has a nice car and can drive just fine. For holidays, she comes with us to my family's house and just sit there looking like a sour puss. And it's because she misses her family. WTF? I really don't understand.

If I say something to her, then I'm the bad guy, but my DH and his sis is too afraid to tell her anything. His sis and her family lives in ATL. The only way I know how to handle the situation so far is to vent.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sweetangles
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM

hey but you know as well as i do it is good to get it off your chest! maybe if your dh called the family in Texas and asked them to ask her to come visit for a little while you know word of mouth and see if that will get her to budge so that that will give her an incentive to go away for a while and make sure they don't say dh called and asked i know someone has to want to see her by now just to spend some time with her she is probably waiting on an invite. 

sheri305
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Well at least yall get along.But she need to respect your privacy some.Maybe talk to DH and you and him have to set boundaries with her.Apparently noone ever taught her that it is not a good thing to wear out your welcome.

Karenhj26
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM

wow no advice here i never had a MIL so IDK what to say.....bump 

melodyroop
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM

girl my MIL is horrible and the situation ugly. but she needs to be aware of how your feeling,  you are both grown women, if you dont say anything it will never end. Be Tactful. but she needs to be made aware of how your household is being affected, if you all were cool and you would like to be cool again then you have to say something: atleast reestablish rules: boundaries or something.  the other options are "your not welcome here" and or Let's get ready to RUMBLE! you have to accept his mother, BUT she canNOT treat you any kind of way. she must be respectful of your relationship.  good luck  

southern_gal101
by on Aug. 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies. My DH and I talk about it all the time. He gets equally aggravated, but doesn't do a thing. And her brothers and sisters are pretty much scattered, but they all take the time to visit- except her. A couple of them have already passed comments to her, but she comes up with the same excuse. I think I have to take one for the team and just talk to her. If anything, I will feel better afterwards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)