Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time management

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 359 Total Views
So what do you guys do to help with the fact you have to work take classes manage homewrk and be a mother all at once?
my 3 yr old doesnt need alot of sleep so doing homewrk late at night is taking a toll i feel like a horid mother trying to do ti while shes awake - jsut becuase i had her young and am in college i dont want her to feel shes lacking but i just dont have the time to get all the things in
manda is so in tune to my life when she plays babies she puts em to bed tells them she has to do homewrk !! and come out with paper and pen to do it -
summers coming soon but then i switch from 15 hr wks so 40 in a lab so that will be a nice change but crunch times comin up and im wonderin if anyone has any suggestions
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sketrjj
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Hi, my name is Joanna. I am a full time student and a single mom. I have two kids a 5 year old boy and a three year old girl. I share custody with thier dad and i have them alternating weeks.  It is so hard to get homework done and i do feel horrible telling them that i cant play with them cuz i have homework to do .  but i also tell them that homework is important and i need some quiet time to do it.  sometimes they will go play in their room and other times i put in a movie for them to watch so i can read.  i hate using the TV as a distraction, but i have no other choice.  maybe you can have some one come in during the day to help you watch your daughter, ya know, keep her in the house with you but have a play mate. or if you know of any other moms you could switch off where you watch their kids for an hour or two and then they will watch your daughter so you can study.  those are my suggestions. i hope it helps.
Caughtup
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2007 at 12:05 AM

HI, IM A FULLTIME STUDENT AND A FULLTIME WORKER PLUS A SINGLE MOTHER W/ SOMEONE. I MANAGE MY TIME BY PLACING MY CHILD IN AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS, AND EXTRACURRICULAR PROGAMS LIKE KARATE, AND SOCCER. ALTHOUGH YOUR DAUGHTER IS YOUNGER SHE CAN STILL PARTICIPATE IN DANCING, MUSIC LESSONS AND ETC.
THAT GIVES U TIME  TO GET AHEAD AND HANDLE MAJORITY OF YOUR WORK.

peacemom1971
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 8:37 AM
Hi! This is the first and so far the only group I've joined on cafemom. College has been so much a part of my life for the past 4 years that my kids and I have become acclimated to the lifestyle.

A little background: I have been attending college part time for years. Finally have my associates and am now at Rutgers University working on my bachelors and teacher certification. I worked full-time as an instructional aide in the same district as my children. My husband and I split up (I do say it is much easier to do this without his presence) right after I made the decision to work part time and tackle college full time, which sent me into a frenzy of worry about the bills. Things always have a way of working themselves out if you let them. TRY NOT TO WORRY TOO MUCH. That is worse than not having enough time to study because your mind is never where it should be.

One thing I find helpful is bringing my books everywhere I go. If I spontaneously have enough time to study, I am ready for it. Waiting at the doctor's office, the kids' practices, sometimes even a red light (depending upon the depth of the subject - sometimes a single moment to read one important sentence and review it in your head when the light turns green is enough to allow the thought to sink in).

Another helpful hint: designate a place that is entirely yours for studying. My dining room table is never used for food (at least while I'm in college), and I have just had to surrender to the organized mess. I always sort through my piles and papers to keep the subjects fresh in my head, even if I am presently focusing on another subject. This keeps me from forgetting an assignment. My table always looks like its a mess, but I know why my laptop is surrounded by my text, dictionary, printed articles, notebook, scratch paper, pencil sharpener, pencils, pens and highlighters, and cup of coffee.

Probably the most important thing to remember is that you are not a bad mommy for wanting or needing to study, and your daughter may have to adjust now, but she will be reaping the benefits of your hard work soon enough. She may even pick up some of your study habits (since we unconsciously model behavior, as you know with your daughter's imiation of you when she puts her babies to bed) which you will see is a definite perk to your attending college while she is forming her personality. My daughter is 13 and is far more organized than I ever was at that age. As long as she keeps her current habits and grades, she will go to college for free if she stays in NJ. My 7 year old son has shown excellent work habits in school, also.

Sometimes, though, you just have to surrender to your daughter and stop studying for the moment to ensure her quality time with mommy. Make it clear that you will play a game or do a project for a short while, but then you must continue studying. It is soooo  much easier to just stop and use that precious time with her to rejuvinate and bond. You'll find she will resist less when you explain that you need some mommy time (she's too young to understand why you need to study) and all your study time won't be interrupted (as much). Maybe put the oven timer on and see if she will give you a good, solid hour. Reward her with a treat if she made it through. If that seems to be too long, knock a few minutes off, but make the treat extra special when she does make it through an hour. You might have to get creative and fill a "mommy is studying" box with several independent activities. Maybe print out a couple pre-school type worksheets and sit her across the table from you - play school!!

I know this was a long tip, but you are dealing with two very important subjects - your child and your own education. Good luck, I hope you achieve everything you are working so hard for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)