Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

My son goes to public school. One of his classmates is having a birthday party this Saturday afternoon. I'm planning that my son won't attend because the birthday party will be at a bowling alley. Would you let your child attend a birthday party on Sabbath at an entertainment place?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ryanfam
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Unfortunately, not. We don't. My family ALWAYS has birthday parties on Sabbath and the kids usually don't go. Now, if it's just at a family's house, then we take them... but they don't watch videos or anything. We just graciously leave when that starts.

mictamali
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM

We don't.  We just tell them we can't make it when it's on Sabbath.  If asked, we explain that we're SDA.  Sometimes family will have something on Sabbath, but it's always just at the house with cake and ice cream, no videos or anything like that.  Just time hanging out.

**Tammy's Goals for 2009**
1.  Lose 15 pounds.
2.  Pay down debt substantially.
3.  Paint the interior of the house.
4.  Read the Bible daily.
5.  Overcome the paper clutter.
6.  Be firmer with Alicia on the homeschooling.

ApplesnCarrots
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:54 PM

No, i wouldn't.  I'd just say we couldn't make it and so sorry.  You could still send a gift.  I always have my kids' Bdays on Sabbath but that's becuase all of hubby's family is together for lunch anyways, so what's the addition of mine and some friends (who are all SDA).  We just have a nice meal, cake and ice cream and party favor bags for the kids to take home.  And they all get to run around and play together.  They're usually too busy to hold still for movies and if they want to watch we have Veggie Tales and some Bible based cartoons (Greatest Stories Ever Told, I think).    Good luck with whatever you decide!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)