Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 205 Total Views

I need some prayers and advice... I was raised Baptist... married an adventist and really fell in love with the adventist church. However, we rarely RARELY go to church... it seems like something is always in the way and we don't have the will power to overcome it. For some reason, I've been second guessing the SDA church altogher and I think this is because I'm just ready to give up and go back to the church my side of the family always goes to. I think deep down, it's because it's easier. My family is always saying that Jesus fulfilled the law so we no longer need to follow the old testament laws. Could someone please give me some biblical backup to either prove/disprove this? I'm well aware that most of you ladies disagree with this, given the group this is lol. I am trying to study on my own and I am just getting more and more confused, so I thought maybe someone in here may have already done some searching of their own on this and could shed some light to it for me. Thank you so much for your help/prayers!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM

This is from one of the Amazing Facts study guides. I hope it helps.

6.   Did Jesus abolish God's law while He was here on earth?

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law. ... I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. ... Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5:17, 18.

Answer: No, indeed! Jesus specifically asserted that He did not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill (or keep) it. Instead of doing away with the law, Jesus magnified it (Isaiah 42:21) as the perfect guide for right living. For example, Jesus pointed out that "thou shalt not kill" condemns anger "without a cause" (Matthew 5:21, 22) and hatred (1 John 3:15), and that lust is adultery (Matthew 5:27, 28). He says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15.

11.   But isn't a Christian who has faith and is living under grace freed from keeping the law?

"For sin [breaking God's law--1 John 3:4] shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin [break the law], because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." Romans 6:14, 15. "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Romans 3:31.

Answer: No! The Scriptures teach the very opposite. Grace is like the governor's pardon to a prisoner. It forgives him, but it does not give him freedom to break one single law on the statute books. The forgiven person, living under grace, is under double obligation to keep the law. A person who refuses to keep God's law, saying that he is living under grace, is mistaken. He is living under disgrace.

12.   Are the Ten Commandments of God reaffirmed in the New Testament?

Answer: Yes, and very clearly so. Look the following over very carefully.

1. "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 4:10. 1. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3.
2. "Little children, keep yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21. "Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." Acts 17:29. 2. "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:4-6.
3. "That the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed." 1 Timothy 6:1. 3. "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." Exodus 20:7.
4. "For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works." "There remaineth therefore a rest ["keeping of a sabbath," margin] to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his." Hebrews 4:4, 9, 10. 4. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11.
5. "Honour thy father and thy mother." Matthew 19:19. 5. "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee." Exodus 20:12.
6. "Thou shalt not kill." Romans 13:9. 6. "Thou shalt not kill." Exodus 20:13.
7. "Thou shalt not commit adultery." Matthew 19:18. 7. "Thou shalt not commit adultery." Exodus 20:14.
8. "Thou shalt not steal." Romans 13:9. 8. "Thou shalt not steal." Exodus 20:15.
9. "Thou shalt not bear false witness." Romans 13:9. 9. "Thou shalt not bear false winess against thy neighbour." Exodus 20:16.
10. "Thou shalt not covet." Romans 7:7. 10. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." Exodus 20:17.

~*Jamie*~ SAHM of - Christian (12), Aarin (10), Kaylah (6), Samuel (5), and Noah (1)

by Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 2:17 AM

That was a great answer.  The Ten Commandments will always be God's Law.  They were written, in stone, by his own finger.

The laws that were no longer needed are the Mosaic laws.  There is no more need for blood sacrifices as Jesus was the Lamb given in ultimate sacrifice on the cross.  Many of the laws that were followed by the Jews of the time had been misconstrued and/or written by the priests and were laws of pure legality that led away from the worship of God.

The 10 are the basic tenets that rule our lives.  The fourth commandment is so important to God that it was explained in detail how it was to be kept. 

**Tammy's Goals for 2009**
1.  Lose 15 pounds.
2.  Pay down debt substantially.
3.  Paint the interior of the house.
4.  Read the Bible daily.
5.  Overcome the paper clutter.
6.  Be firmer with Alicia on the homeschooling.

by New Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I think I'm making peace with this now and really starting to understand. I always thought of the ten commandments going hand in hand with the Old Covenant, but they are two separate things... an issue I had been having was the verse that said our only commandments were to love God and love our neighbor.. BUT after thinking about it, all of the 10 commandments fall into one of those categories. Thank you guys SO MUCH for taking the time to respond. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)