Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WOW

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 371 Total Views

OK so a wedding ring is a sin? How can that be I mean it's a symbol of your promise to your mate. It;s jewellery I know but not jsut any jewellery. It;'s a custom now not like it's for vanity so why is it a sin?

funny.jpg stripper image by 123youlovemee
HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT INFLAMMATORY BREAST CANCER?! IT CAN'T BE DETECTED BY MAMMOGRAM AND HAS NO LUMPS! SOMETIMES CAN LOOK LIKE A BUG BITE. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF IN THIS AREA!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ApplesnCarrots
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I'm interested in hearing where you're getting the idea that jewelry is sinful.   I know the Bible says VANITY is sinful and that jewelry (especially in the times of the Bible) was a closely linked with vanity but it's not like wearing jewelry is mentioned in the Ten Commandments.  So, just wondering where you're getting such a strong opinion about it.   Is a certain person saying this to you or a certain church?  Just curious....

joyfulmom30
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I'm also interested to know  where you are going with the idea that jewelry is sinful. The Bible doesn't talk about the wedding ring.

One of my favorite Christian authors talks about how costly jewelry should not be worn by the Christian believers, instead we as Christians should spend our money helping the poor. Here's what the Bible mentions about dress & the wearing of jewelry," Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel—rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:3,4 (New King James Verison).

"In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing,  but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works." 1 Timothy 2:9,10 (New King James Verison).

rhanford
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Those are the verses. To me he is saying to me at least that don't count on your outside appearance but your inside beauty. Be a good person and help out other's who need it. But I was raised that makeup and jewellery is bad. And have recently been hearing that wedding rings are bad even pastors don't wear them becuase it's still jewellery.

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT INFLAMMATORY BREAST CANCER?! IT CAN'T BE DETECTED BY MAMMOGRAM AND HAS NO LUMPS! SOMETIMES CAN LOOK LIKE A BUG BITE. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF IN THIS AREA!

rhanford
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Also with the holidays being a sin and maybe birthdays... because they are pagan in origin and that stuff.

miszcee
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I'm Catholic, but I absolutely do not believe that wedding rings are a sin. O_O

Lilypie
rhanford
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:21 PM

but all the adventists i have ever talked to about it says its a no no. on top of drinking, i know drunkeness is a sin but drinking idk. also makeup is a sin too  so rawrs...

eeyore13
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Look at it this way.  What should be, as Christians, in the front of everything we do and say?  It should be Christ, right?  So when you wear your wedding band, it makes a statement that you are committed to this other person, just as we were told to do in the Bible.  What you are being told by other Adventists was what was taught many years ago, before the wedding band was a part of our culture.  That has changed.  Depending on a pastor's personal convictions is whether or not they will wear a ring.  It is no longer a general teaching of the church.

When you wear other jewelery (earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, watches, pins, etc.), is it to make others notice you and how pretty it is or is it to make yourself look nice and approachable?  How much do you spend on it?  The issue made in the church was when people were spending money on jewelery that should have been caring for their families and was needed for mission work.

When you wear make-up, do you wear just enough to enhance your appearance, or do you make sure that everyone notices?  And again, how much do you spend on it?  People should notice our character not what what we wear.

The same could be said for clothing, vehicles, houses, food, etc.  What is more important, a character like Christ or fitting in with the crowd?

As far as drinking, if you don't drink, you can't get drunk.  Besides, what is it doing to your mind?  Can God effectively use you to reach another person if your mind is clouded with alcohol?  I love some of my now adult classmates from Adventist homes find their biggest bragging point is where, with who, and what they are drinking every day of the week.  What does that say about Christians?

We were given guidance in the Bible.  The 10 Commandments, Jesus's teachings, and many examples of real people and what they did to guide us.  God gave us the ability to think and reason so that we could see how to live.  He gave us a list of absolute no-nos, but after that we should be able to look and see for ourselves what is good, based on what we have read in the Bible.

Many Adventist women I know, who were raised Adventist, never go anywhere without at least a necklace, rings (not just their wedding band) on hands and toes, earrings, bracelets, and (this I know for a fact) make-up that costs them over $100 a month. Yes they look like everyone else, and the problem is that they also tend to act like everyone else. 

Now I am not high and mighty, that is for sure!!  I have had my share of piercings, jewelery, drinking, etc.  Because I am human, I will fail.  But when I study my Bible, pray, ask for God's guidance, fellowship with other believers, and do my best, I know that I will still slip up, but isn't that why Jesus paid the price, because I can't do it without Him? 

rhanford
by Member on Jun. 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM

That's beautiful! Thank you so much I need to hear words of inspiration. I am now on the battle of halloween. I personally dont find the harm in letting my kids dress up and go get candy BUT where isthe glory for GoD? I can do what my mom did for me. I am unequally yoked and there for I don't want to take things away and want to show him that God is LOVE and that God is n't this tyrant with a BIG list of no-no's and wants opur lives to be boring and whatnot. I want him to see God's love and to someday come to God. So far to him the bible is a work of fiction because it was written by men, evolution is the truth and magic is  more of an interest. I was pagan when we met so we dd'nt have a talk about he holidays or religion. BIG mistake, EVERYONE should talk about the what if's JUST IN CASE! But my mother used to dress me up as a biblical character and I am pretty sure hubby wont go for it but I can at least ask. And she would pass out our little friend's with the candy and I have seen this lady have gravestone's in her yard that have messages from the bible on them. The ones about sinners and damnation and others And I feel that brings glory to God cause it makes people think hmm yah know?

HoneySweetBear
by on Jul. 12, 2009 at 12:26 AM

The wearing of jewelry. Is it sin or not?

That depends on how the person wearing the jewelry views the act of wearing it.

Point in case, Jesus wears jewelry. What do you think those stones are in His High Priest Garments as He intercessors for us in Heaven in the Holy and Most Holy Place in the Heavenly Santurary? They are jewelry, representations of the 12 tribes of Isreal, yes, but they are still jewelry.

When Paul admodished women (and men) not to wear jewelry, you need to take into account WHERE he said this. He was in Cornith, thus the book is Corthinians. Well, guess what the city of Cornith was famous for: AMBER JEWERLY. Is there anything wrong with amber jewerly? Not on the face of it. BUT, if you know your history, AMBER Jewerly was given by man the attributes of God in it's assumed healing powers. People who were sick, paid a huge price for Amber Jewelry so they could wear it and be healed from diseases.

Today, the New Agers attribute crystals with healing powers: the powers belonging to God alone.

Paul said, don't wear the jewelry so the people in the city will not think you believe you will be healed from the wearing of the jewelry. Live as an example and go on from there.

How hard is that to understand? It really helps a lot if you understand the background of why Paul said what he said.

There is nothing wrong with the wearing of jewelry as long as you don't give that jewelry the attributes that belong to God alone. Eairler I saw you mention Ellen White. She does not condemn the wearing of the wedding ring. In fact, she states it is virtuous. And many SDA ministers are allowing the couples who are getting married during the ceremony to exchange rings - they just don't do a ring ceremony, they just let the couple know when to exchange the rings during the ceremony.

In this aspect, you should follow the command, Thou shalt not have any gods before me.

Is jewelry a god to you? Take that with anything. Is your car a god to you? Is the tv a god to you? And here's a tough one, is your spouse a god to you?

Gives a person something to think about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)