Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

So I know  this is not about bokeh but I really need help and it seems like there are some real photographers in here.

I wasd asked to photograph the states roller derby competitions.  I am NOT a sports photographer AT ALL and all I have is my Nikon D50 with the kit lens.

So I have been looking at better CHEAP lenses for this and I found this one,

Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens

Does anyone know about this lens?  Is it good?  I don't know a lot about lenses or anything and I NEED HELP!

Its cheap and probably better than what I have, but I am a very  broke single mom, with Christmas and my sons B-day in Nov even the $128 to buy it and ship it is too much. What do I do?

by on Oct. 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kelli_and_Riley
by Member on Oct. 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Girl, I can sympathize!  I'm a broke single mom with a Nov baby birthday coming up (not to mention the holidays).  I don't know much about Nikon lenses.... but one thought on that lens is the f-stop does go very low, which means in low light you're pretty much stuck using a high ISO.  I don't know how well lit the roller derby location will be, but it's something to keep in mind.  Also, 70-300 is good for when you're FAR away... but I don't think you're going to really need something that "zoomy."  I know that's not a word, but it's all I could think of... ha ha.  I would actually think smaller.  Something that would allow you to zoom out and get all the action, or zoom in on just a few people/one person.  Something like a 24-85 mm or 24-120mm?  Of course, I have no idea who much those lenses cost.  Hope you find something that works for you!  =) 

libbykate
by Member on Oct. 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM

OMG!  My Father and Step Mother just sent me the conformation # for a Nikon 50MM 1.8 and a Nikon Speed Flash, new tripod, and a bunch of other things!!!

When I opened the email I just started BALLING. I called then and asked to help me find used equipment online (because my step mom ROCKS at finding good deals).  They said they would send me the links to the sites that they found good prices on.  Then when I opened the email I saw the conformation info!   This kind of stuff NEVER happens to me.  

This day started out pretty bad, I thought I was going to have to turn down the job.  This day ended up being one of the best days ever!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)