Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 412 Total Views
I'm going to be homeschooling my second grader next year, and possibly my 10th grader. I'm so excited! I've already got the paces for my second grader, but I wondered if anyone could suggest things that I need to order for my tenth grader besides the basic five subjects?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Joyfulmomma26
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Welcome!  I just "found" this group today.  It's a pleasure to meet you.  I homeschool 5 of my 6 children.  My oldest, 18 ds, has already graduated our homeschool.  Currently, I have a 1st, 5th, 6th, and 10th grader being officially schooled all with A.C.E PACES with supplements.  I've just started my 4 year old with Timberdoodle Kindergarten this week.

I do supplement A.C.E with living history books, logic/critical thinking skills, and varias enrichment according to the child's interest.  My 10th grader for example uses the Knowledge Quest Bible study program, Greek I (A.C.E) and C.L.E's home economics course.  She also has a list of books she is required by me to read to enhance her Social Studies and English PACES.   I am reading books off the Sonlight lists aloud to the rest of the children.  The girls also use Critical and Creative by Evan Moor, Artistic Pursuits, and lots of fun science kits.  We love Timberdoodle for logic puzzles and games.  We use Netflix to add documentaries for both science and social studies.

I will have a second grader next year too, I've bought her an additional science program from Winter Promise because science is her favorite subject and the early grades of A.C.E don't go deep enough for her liking.  I also bought her some workbooks from Critical Thinking Press (Visual Perception book 2, Mind Benders beginning, and What's New, What's Missing, What's different)   Both the kids and I really prefer A.C.E for our core curriculum but I obviously like to add to it.  If you're new to homeschooling, don't feel you have to add anything.  It takes time to find your groove and figure out what works for your family.  Your teenager might want to explore something he/she is passionate about.  

May God bless your family.

Enjoy the journey,

Pamela

Zamaria
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Nice to meet you! My kids are all boys, ages 15, 6 & 3. I homeschooled my oldest part time for a few years, until seventh grade. We used ACE then as well, but we worked with a private ACE school and he went there one day each week to take tests, etc. It was a great system for us, but the school is no longer operating. :( so I'm kind of new to homeschooling, but not really lol!
I really love ACE but I do think they need supplementation in some areas. I really like the idea of just supplementing the subjects that they are most interested in! I hadn't though of that. My oldest is very interested in law, government, etc., and it should be fairly easy to find materials for that! My middle son may be more challenging. He isn't really interested in "book learning" at all. He prefers building things, etc.
I also like the idea of using movies to supplement. We don't have Netflix, but our library has a great documentary selection! Thanks for the ideas!
Now, when they graduate how do they get a diploma? Do you order one from ACE? I couldn't find them on their website. I was just curious about how graduation works with a homeschool. My brother in law was an ACE homeschool graduate, but he just took his GED test instead of getting a diploma. Can you tell me how all that works? It's coming up soon hopefully, since if we do homeschool my oldest we plan for him to finish in the next two years instead of three.

Quoting Joyfulmomma26:

Welcome!  I just "found" this group today.  It's a pleasure to meet you.  I homeschool 5 of my 6 children.  My oldest, 18 ds, has already graduated our homeschool.  Currently, I have a 1st, 5th, 6th, and 10th grader being officially schooled all with A.C.E PACES with supplements.  I've just started my 4 year old with Timberdoodle Kindergarten this week.

I do supplement A.C.E with living history books, logic/critical thinking skills, and varias enrichment according to the child's interest.  My 10th grader for example uses the Knowledge Quest Bible study program, Greek I (A.C.E) and C.L.E's home economics course.  She also has a list of books she is required by me to read to enhance her Social Studies and English PACES.   I am reading books off the Sonlight lists aloud to the rest of the children.  The girls also use Critical and Creative by Evan Moor, Artistic Pursuits, and lots of fun science kits.  We love Timberdoodle for logic puzzles and games.  We use Netflix to add documentaries for both science and social studies.

I will have a second grader next year too, I've bought her an additional science program from Winter Promise because science is her favorite subject and the early grades of A.C.E don't go deep enough for her liking.  I also bought her some workbooks from Critical Thinking Press (Visual Perception book 2, Mind Benders beginning, and What's New, What's Missing, What's different)   Both the kids and I really prefer A.C.E for our core curriculum but I obviously like to add to it.  If you're new to homeschooling, don't feel you have to add anything.  It takes time to find your groove and figure out what works for your family.  Your teenager might want to explore something he/she is passionate about.  

May God bless your family.

Enjoy the journey,

Pamela

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joyfulmomma26
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  About the diploma....for my oldest, I created a transcript on teascript.com.  The  community college did not require anything else.  There are lots of unbrella schools that you can pay a nominal fee for a transcript and then your child will be issues a state diploma.  You could just google them.   icfaith.com is very inexpensive and the Pastor/owner Bill Jenkins is very accomodating.  

For your son that is interested in building things, may I recomment the engino simple machines building kit or perhaps the ollo robotics kits.  There are some super construction kits that are super fun for boys especially but actually teaches them basic physic and engineering principals.  You can find these type items on Timberdoodle.com or Amazon.com.  Perhaps even something like Zoob kit?  Look for something that will get him thinking while being entertained at the same time.  My girls are into Legos and the Zoobs.  I plan on getting an Engino kit soon.  Often I look and see what topics they're covering in their science paces and choose kits that coordinate.  EINO and Thames and Kosmos have fun kits for just about every science topic you could think of and they're available on Amazon.  

If there's anything else I can help you with, please, let me know.

Happy spring,

Pamela

Zamaria
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Great info! Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into these things!

Quoting Joyfulmomma26:

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  About the diploma....for my oldest, I created a transcript on teascript.com.  The  community college did not require anything else.  There are lots of unbrella schools that you can pay a nominal fee for a transcript and then your child will be issues a state diploma.  You could just google them.   icfaith.com is very inexpensive and the Pastor/owner Bill Jenkins is very accomodating.  

For your son that is interested in building things, may I recomment the engino simple machines building kit or perhaps the ollo robotics kits.  There are some super construction kits that are super fun for boys especially but actually teaches them basic physic and engineering principals.  You can find these type items on Timberdoodle.com or Amazon.com.  Perhaps even something like Zoob kit?  Look for something that will get him thinking while being entertained at the same time.  My girls are into Legos and the Zoobs.  I plan on getting an Engino kit soon.  Often I look and see what topics they're covering in their science paces and choose kits that coordinate.  EINO and Thames and Kosmos have fun kits for just about every science topic you could think of and they're available on Amazon.  

If there's anything else I can help you with, please, let me know.

Happy spring,

Pamela

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)