Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who I am

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 453 Total Views

Thank you Lisa, you are right I should let you all know about me and where I am coming from with this group. I have a teenager who is an astounding gift, she is my only child. She is a lesbian; I don’t really like to label her as anything other than my daughter. My daughter is very active in her school, gifted and talented in athletics and academics. She was President of her class and is still an officer of her class and is quite popular she is also very open about her sexuality, she has started a group in her high school where they meet once a month at a local café and just  talk about all and everything that has to do with their individualities. I love all my girls and guys that come together in this group. I have come across those kiddos that parents really don’t understand or can not come to terms that their children are different. I have embraced all of them and they all come to me for help and comfort. Its amazing because all these kiddos are sophomores, juniors and seniors in High school and I feel that they already have so much more to worry about other than their parents giving them more pressure because they choose to love who they want to love and welcome and embrace their sexuality. I am one person who loves my kiddo with all my heart and just want her to be happy. I have gone to PFLAG meetings, but some of the kids are just too afraid to go with me because they are always wondering who will see or know about them. I really do feel its ridiculous and our kids need all our love and support.

This is why I created this group, there are times that my patience is tested.. And I have seen much hate from strangers who don’t even know who my daughter is and the amazing person she is ..

So I am so happy to see all the love in this forum and would like anyone who is here for the WRONG reasons to open your mind. I did try to make this group private but I said what the hell our kids have been in the closet to long, why not open our arms and see if we can help them to change the world..  

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momo3p
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Thank you for telling us a little of your history.  Its sounds like you are a very loving person.  I know this is a different age and day, but how are the kids you know being treated at school?  I know the difficulties that kids have to face.  It seems to me that it is getting a little better for them now.  I just wondered because my oldest was in school over 12 years ago.  The horrors that she had to face were unbelievable to me.  The school did nothing to help.  They wanted her out as fast as they could.

I am hoping it is better now.

Lisa
Pflagmom
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2007 at 5:59 PM
WOW! Almost verbatim yours words could have been mine. Everything you wrote is me and my feelings and or experiences. I too have a gay daughter who is out and proud since her freshman year in high school. She is beautiful! Your daughter sounds very smart and loving as well as sounds loved. I like her idea of the group meeting place for the other students. My daughter started the very first GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) on her highschool's campus in the history of her high school. She was on the Governing Board as well for the state. I was the President for PFLAG in our town as well as her and I are Board Members.  We tag team...ha ha ha ha I work with the adults and she works with the youth.  She is on the boards of several gay activist community groups here. I have always told her it seems to make it easy for others to be accepting of her because SHE is so accepting of her.  Not to say there have not been hard moments for her ; such as stepping of the bus and having rotten fruit thrown on her.  That bummed her for a entire five minutes.  But I too am the "MOM" for all the youth. I am also a safe-house where kids can go in crisis. Lots of parents knee jerk reaction is to kick em out of the home when they come out to them.  But usually after things cool down we help communication flow her and I and as usual time heals all.  Having a Gay child is an experience I would not trade for the world. We all have a blast! We are the house that holds all the Huge feasts for every holiday for youth that have no families to go to for the family holiday thing. So we are that family....because as PFLAG always states...."Love is what makes a family".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)