Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

judged...

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 366 Total Views

So I turned 18 and got my first tattoo which was a cross on the small of my back and no it's not a tramp stamp thank you since I put it there because God is my center and he holds my up at all times! Then before I knew it I wanted another and another.. I have seven now and am planning on more. I was at my grandparents 50th anniversary party when one of my great aunts noticed the ones on my feet and more or less called me white trash and it really upset me because all of my tattoos have been thought about and not just something I picked off a wall and said this looks cool and had no meaning to me.

How should I handle this situation?

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tat2mom
by Group Owner on Jul. 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I would ask her why she feels that way.  Make her be upfront with her feelings.  I found out that a lot of people don't really know why they feel the way they do other then they were taught that they were wrong.

I had a friend (who wasn't a Christian) that has several tattoos and her overweight SIL made a snide remart about how trashy they made people look.  Without missing a beat she said I know, its like how fat poeple look lazy all the time.

Now I don't reccomend doing that, but she did make a point, just because someone is, or had something doesn't make them something else (if that makes since).  You just need to keep loving her the way Christ would, because I promise that His light will stand out more then any tattoo ever will!  :)

l0v3myg1rl5
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Thanks Tat2mom I think you are right. I think that next time she wants to "talk" about me and my tattoos I am going to ask her why she feels. I guess no matter what whether I am covered in tattoos or I have none God Loves me and this is how I should look at it too! So no matter if she wants to belittle me because of my tattoos or not I will continue to show her love and kindness,

housewife420
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM

my grandma is very ol school like that too. she has told me before she doesnt understand how people can get tattoos and still be christian lol. i just let it roll off my back. if they want to get technical about how a christian should treat the body ten call them out for having their ears pierced lol same thing in my book. besides its not like you got a tattoo of satan raping a nun or something lol

BekaGirl
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM
With people that are just curious about why I have tattoos, I will try to have an open discussion with them about what the bible really says about tattoos and what some of their misconceptions are. However, most people just want to tell you you're wrong and don't want to hear anything you have to say about it...
AuroraAFA
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM

The line I highlighted in black really annoys me, and you can replace it with whatever you want.  People are flawed.  You might as well be saying, you can't be a sinner and still be Christian.  Well then who is going to fill the pews.  Even if she does believe it to be a sin, Jesus often said He comes for the sick not the well.  Since I have tattoos, I am not saying it is a sin, I am just pointing out the very hypocrisy of these kinds of statements, as though somehow the pews are filled with the sinless.

Quoting housewife420:

my grandma is very ol school like that too. she has told me before she doesnt understand how people can get tattoos and still be christian lol. i just let it roll off my back. if they want to get technical about how a christian should treat the body ten call them out for having their ears pierced lol same thing in my book. besides its not like you got a tattoo of satan raping a nun or something lol

Godblessedmex4
by on Dec. 20, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Sweety look at me, I have 4 tattoos, one on my right foot my hubby's name going up my right forearm and one on each shoulder blade. I am having my collar bones done after the first and I will be starting my sleaves shortly after that. I sport the pin up Rockabilly look ( a bit more conservative in my dress than most) I had purple and black hair in my avi then I went blue and black now I'm hot pink and black. I am also in my church choir and I am a Sunday school teacher. I am constantly getting judgement from other moms at my kids school and when DH and I go out. I can't let it bother me, Why dose bother me is DH family who basically say the same thing about me your grandparents did about you, its not a fun feeling. I finally had enough and sat them down and said this. " I am tired of the judgment from you, I expect it from people who do not know me, its life but from people who call themselves my family. You all know I'm a good person I am active in our church and I practice what I preach. I am tattooed and I will NOT apologize to anyone for that. God dose not care what is on my out side, but what is on my inside. If you can not accept me for who I am I will no longer subject myself to your behavior." That worked. Idk if they still talk amongst eachother about it, I'm sure they do but they don't make it an issue with me anymore. I'm sorry you had to feel that. Just know God is in your corner, that is what helps me through it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oknapaj
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I've delt with people like that...My favorite one was a few months ago (a few days after my last tattoo)  when a woman in a coffee shop saw the fresh ink (and my multiple pierced ears) and started "preaching" saying something about the bible saying "your body is a temple and it should be treated as such" I looked her square in the eye and told her "I do. Have you ever seen a temple/cathedral/church that wasn't decorate or adorned with beautiful pictures and fixtures?" Needless to say she was pissed and stormed off...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)