Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ACF Apprenticeship program

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 285 Total Views
I thought I would throw a little information out there for some of the wives with hubbies new to the business, thinking of school, or if you know someone thinking of culinary school. There is a national organization, the ACF, American Culinary Federation, and it has an apprenticeship program. I think the ACF is a good organization for the profession in many ways. It is a good way for chef's to network, continue education, share ideas, promote the profession, and it does some good charity work. Many employers will pay the annual membership fee to the ACF.

The ACF Apprenticeship is a good alternative to culinary school. It is a 3 year program, and when completed the apprentice is a Certified Working Cook (same as culinary school). During that time the chefs work under an ACF chef apprenticing. They work to gain experience and get paid as usual. Many employers pay for the ACF apprenticeship fee, and pay the ACF Apprentice membership. (Over 10 years ago the apprenticeship was about $500 a year, not sure the cost now. My husbands club payed for it.) When my husband was entering the business in Atlanta, the chefs he encountered were very supportive of the ACF Apprenticeship. This actually led him from a school to the apprenticeship.

There are many wonderful culinary schools around the country, but most are very pricey. Even small programs at trade schools are costly. My husband would have enjoyed going to Johnson & Wales or the CIA (I was born in Kingston and family in Hyde Park so I would too). I think for someone that is seeking culinary training, the apprenticeship is a Win Win. The chef gets training while being paid, and has a very low financial cost.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the spare funds, a big culinary school is pretty awesome, too. I'm just speaking from our experience.

Now I have to go write the ACF to see if they have a job in PR for me, ha!
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
abellvalerie
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for posting

We’ve put birth in the same category with illness and disease and it’s never belonged here. Birth is naturally safe, but we’ve allowed it to be taken over by the medical community.
~ Carla Hartley, founder of Trust Birth and the Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)