Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long does it take?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:08 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 293 Total Views
Hi ladies, I am just curious how long does it usually take to get your lil ones to finally ask to go to the potty??? Or to let you know they have to go? Yesterday was just amazing with only one accident and now today we have had 2 already since he has been up.... Christy

by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

It depends on what method you are using to train your child.  As I described to you in a private message, if you are the one telling the child when it's time to go potty, the child doesn't "get it" that he is responsible to take the initiative.  Just like all the other things you tell him to do (get dressed, take a bath, eat, clean up toys, etc.) going potty is yet another thing you are responsible for getting him to do at this point.  That's one of the drawbacks of training a child with the set interval method.  They think it's mom's job to get them to the toilet on time.  It really is more of a training the parent than it is training the child.  It's a very common problem with parents that use that method to train.

I'm not bashing you and the choice you've made for how to train your child.  I know we all have to do what we think is best for our family.  Just letting you know that your situation is very common given the way you are training.

mysonismyjoy
by on May. 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

With my first son it took about 1 1/2 weeks to be 100% pottytrained.

Day 1 and 2 were horrible. Somewhere through day 3 it seemed to just click and he was pretty much pee trained from day 3 on (although he did have maybe 3 accidents in the next week in public). It took him about another week from that to master night time, pooping, and public training.

My second son, I just gave it 4 days and decided to wait a little longer since he showed absolutely no progression.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)