Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Time Question/Advice?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 817 Total Views

My DD is 21 months old and doing great with potty training.  She has not been in a diaper since Monday (5 days ago).  She has had one daytime accident since then - she pood in her pants.  She naps without a diaper just fine for 2 to 3 hours and keeps her bed dry.  Until Friday night she was sleeping at night without a diaper as well and keeping her bed dry.

Friday night we had her pee pee before bed.  Around 11pm she woke up and came and got me soaking wet.  Last night the same thing happened.  I've told her it's okay to get out of bed to go potty or tell us she has to potty.  This morning I asked her if she wanted to try wearing diapers at night and she told me no haha.  I'm sure I can get a diaper on her at night without a fuss, but I really like the idea of never going back.

Also we've tried getting her up after she goes to sleep about 30 minutes later to try to pee and she gets really upset.

Any suggestions on nighttime?  Should I just keep letting her wet her bed and allow her to try?  Should I insist on Diapers?

Thanks ladies!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoppieCat
by on May. 3, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Never mind.....

I guess the answer is just to let her keep trying without diapers.  We tried again last night and she woke up at 10pm, went pee and slept the rest of the night without wetting her bed.

If anyone gets just 2 seconds I would still love to hear your night time experiences. 

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Quoting CoppieCat:

Never mind.....

I guess the answer is just to let her keep trying without diapers.  We tried again last night and she woke up at 10pm, went pee and slept the rest of the night without wetting her bed.

If anyone gets just 2 seconds I would still love to hear your night time experiences. 

There's no rule that says you have to train for both at the same time.  I trained my son for overnight about a month after he was fully day trained and there wasn't really any training at all.  He was basically accident free from that point on.

Sometimes kids have more messes when they are overly tired or if schedules have been out of sorts.  I'd encourage you to go ahead and work through it all and if she keeps wetting overnight you may want to consider putting a diaper on after she's gone to sleep or even limiting liquids about 2 hours before she goes to bed.

When I night trained my son (he was 24 months at the time) he got upset when I woke him up to go potty so I got to where I was basically taking him into the bathroom without totally waking him up and getting him to go potty even if he was mostly asleep he could still manage to pee.  Then, getting him back to sleep wasn't too much of an issue.  Just get a dim lamp or night light
in the bathroom so you don't have to blind her in the bathroom.

CoppieCat
by on May. 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Thank you!  This is exactly what I needed.  It sounds like we're already trying just about everything you suggested so that's perfect =)

I actually ask her if she wants to wear diapers and she has said no.  She understands what it all means, at least to a degree. 

I actually put a night light in there for night time just a couple days ago haha.  We did try putting her on the potty without waking her and she kinda freaked out.  The next night we tried waking her and going pee and she freaked out a lil LOL.  Then night before last she woke up on her own to go pee.  Last night she woke up and went pee around midnight too.  So far she's 4:2 dry to wet at night.

I have started limiting her liquids at night also and I think that helps.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

There's no rule that says you have to train for both at the same time.  I trained my son for overnight about a month after he was fully day trained and there wasn't really any training at all.  He was basically accident free from that point on.

Sometimes kids have more messes when they are overly tired or if schedules have been out of sorts.  I'd encourage you to go ahead and work through it all and if she keeps wetting overnight you may want to consider putting a diaper on after she's gone to sleep or even limiting liquids about 2 hours before she goes to bed.

When I night trained my son (he was 24 months at the time) he got upset when I woke him up to go potty so I got to where I was basically taking him into the bathroom without totally waking him up and getting him to go potty even if he was mostly asleep he could still manage to pee.  Then, getting him back to sleep wasn't too much of an issue.  Just get a dim lamp or night light
in the bathroom so you don't have to blind her in the bathroom.

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 4, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Quoting CoppieCat:

Thank you!  This is exactly what I needed.  It sounds like we're already trying just about everything you suggested so that's perfect =)

I actually ask her if she wants to wear diapers and she has said no.  She understands what it all means, at least to a degree. 

I actually put a night light in there for night time just a couple days ago haha.  We did try putting her on the potty without waking her and she kinda freaked out.  The next night we tried waking her and going pee and she freaked out a lil LOL.  Then night before last she woke up on her own to go pee.  Last night she woke up and went pee around midnight too.  So far she's 4:2 dry to wet at night.

I have started limiting her liquids at night also and I think that helps.

Honestly, the more you wake her up at night, even if she gets upset, it will help her learn to sleep lighter so she can feel that "need to go" even when asleep so she'll be more likely to wake up.

I'm fortunate that my son managed to be able to go all night without waking up to go potty pretty early into the night training process.  He's almost 4.5 and he'll go potty at around 8 or 8:30 and sleeps until 6 or later the next morning without going potty.  Some mornings he'll even wait a while after waking before he goes.  His ability amazes me! LOL

Hang in there, she'll get it.

Something else to check into is whether or not you or her dad had problems night training.  A lot of times it's at least partially genetic so if either of you had problems, she might too.

CoppieCat
by on May. 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Thanks =)  I'll try waking her again.  I've heard a lot of mom's get their children back up 30 to 60 minutes after bedtime to pee while they're still sleeping.  I remember babysitting a little girl who did that hehehe. 

I never thought about genetics.  I'll have to ask my hubby about his history.  I don't think I had any issues.  My mom swears I was PT at about 1 yr old (I really think I was 2), they were on a couple week hike in the mountains and I guess I PT'd out there haha!! 

My daughter has gone the past 2 nights without wetting the bed now.  Both nights she woke up at midnight and I was able to get her to go.  We've had more dry nights than wet so I'm pretty hopeful =)

Oh and man what I wouldn't give for my daughter to sleep in till 6am!!  We only recently got her to sleep in till 5am haha.  Before that she was getting up for good around 3 or 4am, gah!  It's a good thing we're morning people =)

Thanks again for all your help and support.  I think just knowing I'm not alone even helps =)

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Honestly, the more you wake her up at night, even if she gets upset, it will help her learn to sleep lighter so she can feel that "need to go" even when asleep so she'll be more likely to wake up.

I'm fortunate that my son managed to be able to go all night without waking up to go potty pretty early into the night training process.  He's almost 4.5 and he'll go potty at around 8 or 8:30 and sleeps until 6 or later the next morning without going potty.  Some mornings he'll even wait a while after waking before he goes.  His ability amazes me! LOL

Hang in there, she'll get it.

Something else to check into is whether or not you or her dad had problems night training.  A lot of times it's at least partially genetic so if either of you had problems, she might too.

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Quoting CoppieCat:

Thanks =)  I'll try waking her again.  I've heard a lot of mom's get their children back up 30 to 60 minutes after bedtime to pee while they're still sleeping.  I remember babysitting a little girl who did that hehehe. 

I never thought about genetics.  I'll have to ask my hubby about his history.  I don't think I had any issues.  My mom swears I was PT at about 1 yr old (I really think I was 2), they were on a couple week hike in the mountains and I guess I PT'd out there haha!! 

My daughter has gone the past 2 nights without wetting the bed now.  Both nights she woke up at midnight and I was able to get her to go.  We've had more dry nights than wet so I'm pretty hopeful =)

Oh and man what I wouldn't give for my daughter to sleep in till 6am!!  We only recently got her to sleep in till 5am haha.  Before that she was getting up for good around 3 or 4am, gah!  It's a good thing we're morning people =)

Thanks again for all your help and support.  I think just knowing I'm not alone even helps =)

Sounds like she's doing great! :-)

I woke my son up right before I went to bed for the night.  Back then it was around 11PM after he'd gone down at around 7/7:30 and he'd go potty pretty good.  Eventually he started stirring when I went in, before I tried to wake him so he was easier to get to go.  Then he started fighting me about it and I was taking him without totally waking him.  And eventually I just tried not waking him one night to see if he'd wake up or not.  He slept thru the night without any messes and does that basically all the time now.  He has woken up a few times in the night to go potty but that's very rare.

It truly does get better.  My son's almost 4.5 now and so keep hope! :-)

CoppieCat
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Well things are going great.  She's been out of diapers for 10 days and only ended up wetting the bed two nights.  She's been dry for the past 5 nights now.  I've been waking her about 2 hours after she goes to sleep and putting her on the potty.  She hasn't actually peed in it when I do, but at least now she tries and she doesn't throw a fit.

We haven't had any daytime pee pee accidents since the first day, although since we've started wearing panties this week she's poo'd in her pants for the past 3 days.  She was poo'ing in the toilet till we put the panties back on hehe.  I'm hopeful today will be better, we've had a lot of long talks and we've been singing songs about it haha.

Thanks for all your support!

wendilee
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Wow, Coppie, sounds like she's doing awesome!!!  I havent even started with Colton yet.  He's a stubborn, stubborn boy.  Maybe I will try next week.

I kept Brock in pull-ups at night for like a year after he was potty trained.  I was because of me, not him.  I was in my second and third trimester with Colton, then I had a newborn....I couldnt deal with middle of the night screaming...lol....but when he was ready, we stopped using them and I think he only wet the bed once or twice.....

I hope things  keep going well for you!

CoppieCat
by on May. 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Thanks Wendi!  I balked a bit at first because of all the work on my part but I'm glad I went with my gut anyway even though changing the bed at midnight is a pain hahaha. 

Colton will get it and from what you've said he sounds like he understands what it's about.  Man I cannot imagine potty training while pregnant or with a newborn, especially night time training when you're lacking sleep anyway haha.

Quoting wendilee:

Wow, Coppie, sounds like she's doing awesome!!!  I havent even started with Colton yet.  He's a stubborn, stubborn boy.  Maybe I will try next week.

I kept Brock in pull-ups at night for like a year after he was potty trained.  I was because of me, not him.  I was in my second and third trimester with Colton, then I had a newborn....I couldnt deal with middle of the night screaming...lol....but when he was ready, we stopped using them and I think he only wet the bed once or twice.....

I hope things  keep going well for you!

LittleGirlMom
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM

My situation was similar to yours.  My DD didn't wake up at night until she had already wet the bed.  At first I put diapers over her panties thinking that she'd wake up, but she didn't.  Finally I had to let her wet the bed a few times and she got the hang of it.  I usually take her potty once in the middle of the night just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)