Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 570 Total Views

So DH and I decided that it is time train our 2yo.  Well we buy the potty and all through the store after we put it in the cart he is yelling "Potty!!" and pointing at it.  We get home, and he pulls it out and starts to sit on it and everything, so excited! So then we started yesterday, NOT ONCE IN THE POTTY, but he did go on the bathroom floor two min after i took him off the potty for his bath.

He tells us when he is going in his diaper/pull-up by yelling pee-pee, or wee-wee, or running to the potty saying potty, but it is as it is happening.  I am putting him on the potty every 20 min, and when he wants to.  Yet it seems like he goes only right after i put him back in his pants.  Any tips? We just moved into a new rental with carpet almost everywhere so i would really like to do this without pee everywhere that i would have to bring in carpet cleaning supplies.  We are on day two and still no pee-pee in the potty!! I am getting frustrated and discouraged. What do i need to do?!?!  I just KNOW that all he needs is to go once, he will love it and be hooked, i just don't know what to do!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Adults don't go every 20 minutes nor do kids.

In the general discussion area of this group is a post near the top about the 3 day potty training method. Check that out. And let me know what questions you may have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swtabbga
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

i get that, the purpose is to catch him in the need to use the bathroom, learn his cycle.  When he does need to go, he will go in his daiper and hold it when he is on the potty.  Again, if it can be done without getting my the carpet in my rental soaked in pee I would prefer it.  The three day method focuses on jumping into the deep end, I just can't do that right now.  I need to get him to go when he is sitting on the potty, not right after he gets up.

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM
If you don't have time to truly make potty training a top priority, your child won't either.

Having him sit in hopes he'll pee is not really teaching him to know when he needs to go. It's playing the odds, sort of like the toilet lottery.

If you really can't focus on it right now, that's ok. Just wait until you can fully devote to it. Otherwise, you'll only end up frustrated and that will be evident to your child as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swtabbga
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
again, i am in a rental. I can't have a pee soaked carpet somewhere i don't own. I know there are ways to potty train that don't involve pee all over my house, my gradmother did it with me and my sister. i cant ask her because she has dementia and conversations involve he saying the same thing over and over. It is tips on those meathods that I'm looking for and thought i would find in this group, not a group pushingaone bathing suit for all sizes. This is actually the best time for my family between a slow work shedule and DH is finally 6+ months seizure free. If i can't get that help here please let me know and i will leave the group.

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM
There's really no need to be dramatic. I am trying to help you and telling you that it's important to make potty training a top priority, no matter what approach you use, is key. And if you really can't do that right now, it's truly best to wait. That was my point. I'm not in any way doubting your parenting skills or anything like that so there's no need to be defensive. Many people have used the method I recommend, even moms with new borns that are breastfeeding, moms of several young children, etc.

If you do the 3 day method and focus as much as possible on your potty training child in those 3 days, you'll be amazed at how well it goes. All you need is 3 days and if you are able to focus on it for those days, it might not even take 3 days. A lot of people use a long weekend and have their spouse, a friend, grandparent, etc to help manage the other stuff around the house so mom can totally focus on potty training.

As for this huge flood of pee you seem to think is going to wash your house away, it just doesn't happen if you do the 3 day the right way. All you have to do is focus on watching your son and as soon as he starts peeing, get him to the bathroom asap. Also, if you keep your child mainly in once room close to the bathroom for most of the training, that one room can easily be steam cleaned after it's all done and no one will be the wiser. The key is to get the mess up as quick as you can after the pee hits the floor and it won't have time to soak in and make the place smell like pee.

I'm giving you advice that's worked for a lot of families that have come thru this group. I know what I'm telling you works. If you read through a lot of posts in this group you'll see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swtabbga
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
i am not being dramitic, i am not being listened to. i know that i need to make potty training a priority, that is why i waited so long when my son was shoing signs of being ready a year ago. i keep saying that that method WILL NOT work for my family. i hve read the posts, i have done researc and this is not the first time i have heardof this method. i get that it works for many, but it is not for us. since this is being pushed and i cant get any useful help for the method i am trying to us i will be leaving the group. i need help with what DH and i have decided will wrk best for us, not for people to suggest that it could be done better by someone who dont know us or our situation.
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM
You asked what you were doing wrong. I gave my opinion and advice I know works. If you consider that "forcing" then so be it.

I can't stop you from leaving. Do what you gotta do. But making a grand to do about leaving is being dramatic. If I don't like a group, I just leave. I don't announce it. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)