Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non-pooper

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 4:30 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 232 Total Views

I should warn you.. this one is a doozy!  Ok, I am a mother of 3.  I PT my first son by 2.5 w/ little issues.  I mistakenly thought son number 2 would be a cinch...WRONG.  I started PT the summer b/f he turned 3 and he went poop on the potty one time w/o help from me.  After that one time he wouldn't go again.  He is 4.5 now.  He is still refusing to poop on the potty.  I have tried virtually EVERYTHING.  He has gone poop occassionally when he has been sick with diarrhea and I think , "Ok, this is it he gets it now."  Wrong again.  It is a HUGE control issue with him.  He does get it.  He just won't do it.  I have tried bribes, cleaning himself up, you name it.  He does not wear a pull-up during the day and will just poop in his undewear.  He holds it b/c he knows he is not supposed to poop in his pants so he just does the little poops all day.  He goes to preschool and hasn't had an accident there and he is there 2x a wk for 4hrs each day.  When he does go in his pants we make him sit on the potty for 5 minutes each time. NOTHING.  He will poop his pants in front of his cousins and friends and does not even care.  He would sit in it all day if I let him but he just stinks too much for me to do that. 

HELP!!

by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Feb. 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Your son is a perfect candidate for POOP JAIL as described in one of the links here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/7107108/Poop_Training_Information_HERE

ltd
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

after reading the link I still have some questions.  I think it may be much easier for parents to stick with this theory if they only have one child.  Are you supposed to make him stay in the potty all day?  What happens if I put him in there and he doesn't go after 30 minutes.  It doesn't say anything about that.  How long are you supposed to make the child stay in the bathroom?  What if the child WON'T stay in the bathroom?  The article doesn't address that issue.

CallieHill
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Quoting ltd:

after reading the link I still have some questions. I think it may be much easier for parents to stick with this theory if they only have one child. Are you supposed to make him stay in the potty all day? What happens if I put him in there and he doesn't go after 30 minutes. It doesn't say anything about that. How long are you supposed to make the child stay in the bathroom? What if the child WON'T stay in the bathroom? The article doesn't address that issue.

My understanding is that you just leave them in the bathroom as long as it takes, even if it takes hours.  If they won't stay in, baby gate them in.  You have to MAKE them.  No choices.  "I'm tired of you pooping your pants - you need to use the potty and you are staying in here until you are finished."  I think the first time of doing it is pretty brutal b/c the kids get pretty mad.  But, it is for older children who have an understanding of what they are doing, so who cares if they get mad?  You are tired of wiping poop off a big kid's butt.  I would read through some of the poop issues posts and message one of the moms who have had sucess with poop jail.  You can get a realistic view of what you are getting into and some support.  Be tough MAMA!! 

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Mar. 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Quoting CallieHill:

Quoting ltd:

after reading the link I still have some questions. I think it may be much easier for parents to stick with this theory if they only have one child. Are you supposed to make him stay in the potty all day? What happens if I put him in there and he doesn't go after 30 minutes. It doesn't say anything about that. How long are you supposed to make the child stay in the bathroom? What if the child WON'T stay in the bathroom? The article doesn't address that issue.

My understanding is that you just leave them in the bathroom as long as it takes, even if it takes hours.  If they won't stay in, baby gate them in.  You have to MAKE them.  No choices.  "I'm tired of you pooping your pants - you need to use the potty and you are staying in here until you are finished."  I think the first time of doing it is pretty brutal b/c the kids get pretty mad.  But, it is for older children who have an understanding of what they are doing, so who cares if they get mad?  You are tired of wiping poop off a big kid's butt.  I would read through some of the poop issues posts and message one of the moms who have had sucess with poop jail.  You can get a realistic view of what you are getting into and some support.  Be tough MAMA!! 

Yep, you put the child in the bathroom (not ON the toilet but IN the bathroom) and tell them that they will stay IN the bathroom until they poop in the toilet.  Put a baby gate in the doorway to keep them in there and so you can poke your head in to check periodically.  You may even want to put a baby monitor in there when you need to take care of the other kids.

You tell the child at the beginning "The doctor said you have to stay in the bathroom until you poop in the potty." and then you make them.  It doesn't matter if they are there all day, you make them stay there.  Provide no entertainment while they are in there.  You want him to know that you are serious and hanging out in the bathroom isn't playtime.  Initially it may take a really long time the first day but each day that you do that, the time it takes them to poop will get shorter and shorter until it's a non-issue anymore.  But you have to STAND FIRM.  It's a pain but there are many moms that have used it and found that it worked for them.

ltd
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Quoting CallieHill:

Quoting ltd:

Yep, you put the child in the bathroom (not ON the toilet but IN the bathroom) and tell them that they will stay IN the bathroom until they poop in the toilet.  Put a baby gate in the doorway to keep them in there and so you can poke your head in to check periodically.  You may even want to put a baby monitor in there when you need to take care of the other kids.

You tell the child at the beginning "The doctor said you have to stay in the bathroom until you poop in the potty." and then you make them.  It doesn't matter if they are there all day, you make them stay there.  Provide no entertainment while they are in there.  You want him to know that you are serious and hanging out in the bathroom isn't playtime.  Initially it may take a really long time the first day but each day that you do that, the time it takes them to poop will get shorter and shorter until it's a non-issue anymore.  But you have to STAND FIRM.  It's a pain but there are many moms that have used it and found that it worked for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)