Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 17 months too young?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

My daughter is only 17 months old.   For the past 3 weeks she has been bringing me a diaper and her wipes and then lays down.  I don't want to potty train her if she isn't ready and have her fight me later.  I've heard too many stories.  Is she too young?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Typically professionals agree that kids don't have ability to control their bladder muscles until around 18 months.  Obviously some kids have that ability sooner and some later.

I'd wait at least until 18 months and then you could try this method: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post

It's what I used with my son when he was 23 months old and it worked great for us.  I think he could have done it sooner but I just didn't have the time to commit prior to when we actually did it.  Let me know if you have questions.

mhowen
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I started training my daughter at 14 months old I would say no she is not two young but she will take a while so maybe start with 2 times a day until she gets the concept of going now my daughter is 26 months and totally potty trained we do have accidents once in a while but not all the time

Melissa Howen of Wisconsin

lilmama224
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM

dont think of it as "i need to train my child" think of it as a learning process.  she is knowing when her diaper needs changning and that is a huge positive sign that she will be ready soon to use the toilet and  it will make it that much easier.  just keep up the excitement and positive attitude.  dont let  it stress you out and dont put a time line on it.  just let her know what the otoile is, maybe let her come in the bathroom when you go more often, and talk with her about it.  like oh, you went pee, you need a new diaper! , stuff like that. keep it simple.  just lay the ground work, you will know when she is turely ready.

trebelcleff
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM
I would go ahead and get a potty chair... that way she can be introduced to it slowly (we started sitting ours on our toilet ring while brushing his teeth as the bath filled... sometimes he peed, sometimes he didn't). I think the more comfortable they become with it, the easier it will be to really start training. Good luck!
APhionsMommy
by on May. 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM

my son is 17 mnths too and he has a potty what do I do put him to sit on it ? He does the same exact thing how do I start training him?

ElaineZ1997
by on May. 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I think if your child understands the concept of the potty then why not.  If they find interest in it then sure go ahead but they are confused and stress about the potty then my answer is wait a bit.

kcook55
by on May. 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM

my daughter is 17 months old too she sits on the potty everytime i go i would go ahead and try  

RISSA25
by on May. 5, 2009 at 10:17 PM

My daughter didnt want to potty for the longest and i started her at 17 months old... She would tell me no to go sit on the potty but i just put her on the potty and then rewarded her with a snack or sticker and made a potty chart and everytime she went to the potty we put a sticker on and tht worked...And also when i went to the bathroom i sit her on her potty next to me and she would go and now she is a pro at it she tells me when she has to go and she sits on the big potty... Every time she goes we do the potty dance and have fun and high fives when she goes...So its not to early to potty train i also used pull ups for a while but she didnt like being wet so i put panties on her and she loved it but she would have  accidents but i would say its on let try again and she would try again and she did it.....Well Hope eveything goes well if u need more help message me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)