Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holds in poop- Please! help! I'm losing my mind

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 303 Total Views
My son just turned 4 in February and has a problem with pooping period. He refuses to do it and holds it in until he just can't keep it in anymore and once he finally does the smell is so awful and it's so large that I can't imagine how it couldn't hurt him. He refuses to accept that he has to go. I catch him crossing his legs and hiding but by the time we make it to the bathroom it's too late, he's already "sucked" it back in. I've tried everything from rewarding, punishing, videos, books, potty jail, scheduling times, benefiber in his drinks, enema's ((which he held in too, to my surprise-i didn't know you could even do that)), you name it. Nothing is working. I've talked to him about it and he says he doesn't have to go, that he doesn't like the bathroom. After using different potty's, decorating the bathroom to appeal to him- that didn't work either. I have no clue what to do. I can't physically force him to go. I'm losing my mind. Please! Help!
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM

How long did you do poop jail?

puffababy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

My Son who is also 4, would hold it until I put him into a pull up at night.

I would only let my son go no more than 3 days without pooping before I gave him a suppository, and he was also able to hold that in, to my surprise. Our whole ordeal was that he had fallen into the potty at one time and it absolutely scared him to where he would scream if we put him on the potty. So finally about 3-4 weeks ago I got fed up with changing him, that after day 3 of holding it, I gave him a suppository and put him on the potty with a pullup with a hole cut in the butt, and before I knew it, I heard those magical words "Mommy I pooped" and I took off the pullup and showed him, and when he seen he had pooped in the potty, he took it from there and has pooped in it since, he has finally gotten his bowels regular after holding it in for so long.

Does your son still want a pullup to poop? Has he mentioned being scared of the potty?

pregnancy
seoulchick1
by on May. 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM

i'd like to say that i have the magic answer, but i don't.  all i can say is that i was very stressed with my daughter witholding too.  a few months ago, i was at my wit's end.  she would cross her legs and try to hold it in, but usually a little bit would leak out.  because of this, i would have to change her like 10 times a day!  her bottom would get so raw and that would just add to the problem.  i got to the point where i used an enema on her and she held that in until i put a diaper on her.  i swear it was like 2 cups of liquid poo in her diaper.  that was the last straw for me.  after that, i told her that i was no longer going to push her to go potty because she knows how to do it.  i stopped stressing and she's been a little better about going on the potty. 

i have her in big girl panties all the time except for nap time and bed time.  after at least 6 months, she's finally getting to the point where she will poop on the potty occasionally.  i just threaten that i will put her in diapers again, like a baby, if i see her trying to hold it in.  i don't ever ask her anymore if she has to go poop.  that may be the reason why she was holding it in the first place. 

good luck and i hope your little man decides to start going on his own.

oh, i forgot to mention that my daughter is on miralax 1 tbsp a day.  lately though, i've only been giving that much to her every other day.  i still try to give her foods that have a lot of fiber in them as well,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)