Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandaughter Poops in Bed After Nap

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

My grandaughter has been resistant to potty training from the beginning.  However, she is now almost 3 years old and pees and poops in the toilet during the day.  But when my daughter puts her down for a nap or when she wakes up in the morning, she takes off her pullups/underwear and poops in her bed instead of getting up and going to the potty.  When she wakes first in the mornings, she does this and then sometimes even plays in her own poop.  My daughter is at her wits end and I don't know what to tell her.  Since I did not have this problem with my own children I would appreciate any advice I can get.  I also wonder if there is something wrong that makes her want to play with her poop.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Melinda

by on May. 24, 2009 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM

It's pretty common for kids to play in their poop like that, at least sometimes.

What I'd recommend doing is puting her into a cool/lukewarm shower to clean her up.  Have mom do it EVERY SINGLE TIME and tell the child that it's going to happen every single time.  Make it uncomfortable and it should be business only- get in, get clean and get out.  No playtime and the water should be cold enough to be uncomfortable- not freezing or anything.

Does the child like her underwear?  If so, let her know that anytime the underwear is pooped in, they get thrown away.  Then when they are pooped in, the child needs to see mom throw them into the trash (mom can fish them out later to clean them for a later time).  Then put the child into plain white underwear for the rest of the day.  She gets new character underwear the next day until she poops in them again- then she gets a shower and plain white underwear and gets to watch the character ones tossed into the trash.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)