Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too Scared to Poop!

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

My 3 year-old boy has been trained for one year, and he is no longer pooping in the toilet.  I realized after a while he was too scared to go poop in the potty, because he had gotten constipated earlier that month and it hurt him to poop for a few days.

The doctor put him on Miralax to make him regular, and his poop is no longer hard at all.

I have tried everything to get him back on the toilet, I even resorted to spanking his bottom once after he pooped, hid the underwear and proceeded to clean his bottom all over his room (I mean bed, bedding, toys, carpet all over, and it was no little poop, it was everywhere), I gave him prizes, took toys, gave candies, popsicles, talk to him one on one. I have no idea how to get him back in the bathroom.

I have resorted back to pull-ups for poop, he takes the pull-up off for pee, but not poop.

Please help

Lailah

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on May. 24, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Have you tried putting him into a cold/lukewarm shower to clean him up when he poops on himself instead of the toilet?

Are you making him at least go into the bathroom to poop when he's wearing the pull up?  If not, I'd recommend doing that step at least. :-)

Laila_H
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM

He likes the cold shower, and I tried putting him in underwear and telling him that its okay to poop in diaper but he has to tell me first and we will do it in the bathroom, and he just pooped in underwear instead. What bothers me is that he is proud to poop in his underwear.

We are doing Poop Jail in it three hours so far, not easy. I dont think it will work, but I am always hopeful.

Lailah

puffababy
by on May. 26, 2009 at 1:08 PM

We had an issue with my son being scared to poop in the potty because he fell in while going one time (without his seat)

a month ago, I FINALLY got him brok, he would only poop when I put him in a pull up at night...so I took some advice I seen on here...where if the child wants to go in the pull up that is fine and dandy, but he is to sit on the potty while doing so, but the catch was, you but a hole in the butt of the pull up.

I tried that 2 times with my son...the first, he didn't wanna do so he was sitting in there feeling around and figured out his easy up was "broke" cause it had a hole in it...the second time I decided to try it...worked like a charm and that was thee LAST easy up I have had to use on him...because I told him they were gone, and I put them up...so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone, I got him to poop in the potty and night trained all at the same time.

Good Luck!

pregnancy
Laila_H
by on May. 30, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Thats a good idea ill try that next, if this doesnt work. we tried poop jail, but it turned out that my son only needed to poop at night.  so sure enough at dinner he had an accident and we went back to the bathroom and stayed there until he pooped. So we have been doing that every night. once I notice he's trying to hold in usually after dinner, then we sit in the bathroom until he goes. it usually takes 20 minutes. hopefully he get used to pooping and soon he will go on his own.

puffababy
by on Jun. 1, 2009 at 8:49 AM

^My Son would also wait til night...because that is when he got his Easy Up...

I found that once I got him to go on the potty after using the EU with a hole in it...ALOT of Praise goes a long way.

And after he got onto pooping...it took him a week or so to really get into a routine of going whenever he needed to not just at night...I think it took awhile for his body to adjust after holding in poop...but now he poops like a pro!

pregnancy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)