Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 3 year old was potty trained now isn't help went back to pull-ups

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 229 Total Views

my 3 year old almost 4 was peeing and pooping on the potty for a year now but the last 3 weeks or more will not poop on the potty he is getting it every were its so gross i have went back to useing pull-ups is that bad?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I wouldn't keep him in the pull ups.  That's basically telling him that it's ok not to use the toilet.

Has anything at all changed in his life (good or bad) within the last 3-4 weeks?  A lot of times kids regress after something changes in their life.  The change could be major or minor, you just never know with kids.  It could be something like mom and dad separating, dad/mom starting a new job or being home more after losing a job, moving, a new sibling coming him or even moving back to staying home all the time versus going to daycare.

What I recommend is putting him back in underwear.  Then every time he messes, make him clean up the mess (with your help) including washing out the poopy underwear.  A lot of kids think that's gross enough and they decide it's not worth going in their pants if they have to clean it up.

Also, let him know that every single time he poops on himself that he will be put into a cool/lukewarm shower to get cleaned up.  Make it as miserable as possible so that he won't want to have to do it anymore.  Make it business only- get him in, get him clean, get him out- no toys, no playtime.  And follow up and do it every time he does poop on himself.

If none of that works, you may want to look for the information on Poop Jail as described in the sticky note at the top of this group.  He's the perfect candidate if the other options don't work.

puffababy
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I agree....get rid of the Pull Ups!

pregnancy
thacia85
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM

ive did all that still nothingz helpin i did have a baby 3 motz could that be it ?

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Quoting thacia85:

ive did all that still nothingz helpin i did have a baby 3 motz could that be it ?

You just had a baby 3 months ago?  Ummm....yeah.  That's a HUGE deal to a newly potty trained child.

This is a post where I just gave some advice about regression: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/9464327/DD_regressing_what_should_I_do.  You can also look for other similar posts by going to the left side of the page and look for the green box that says SEARCH THIS GROUP and type in REGRESSION.  There should be a multitude of posts on regression and suggestions of what to do. :-)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)