Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does my daughter do this when she's having a bowel movement?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

My daughter is 3 years old.  She is half way potty trained with #1, but going #2 is a "No way! "

When she needs to have a bm, she runs around, jumps, talks real fast, and is just 100% nervous energy.

Yes, I've tried putting her on the potty at this moment (since I know she is trying to have a bm), but I got screams and cries. 

So I quickly backed off that.  If she's in underwear, she holds, waits until the last minute, then begs for a diaper. 

After I put one on, she then starts the running around, jumping, and just craziness. 

Eventually, she does have a bm.  But why does she run around.  Does this physically help the bm come or something?   

AmommysDay

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM

This behavior is a way for kids to try to "hold it".  It's pretty common for poop training kids to try to hold it.

Get some books/toys that are new for her and only let her have them when she's sitting to poop.  Or even blow bubbles for her to take her mind off of what she's sitting there for.

AmommysDay
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Wow!  Thank you for sharing that.  I really needed to know that, because she's on miralax to help soften her bm.

AmommysDay

NicolesMommy810
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM

My DD (2 1/2, taking a break from potty training b/c she just lost interest and we ended up totally pushing her away from it by over-encouraging) also withholds her BMs. The Dr says it's very common in kids her age, especially ones who are potty training. I like the blowing bubbles idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)