Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get my 19 month old son to go on the potty?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 166 Total Views

I was told to start him off standing in front of the potty and not to allow him to sit. By sitting he would have to be retaught how to go potty. I stand him there for about 5 minutes and nothing. No soon as we leave the bathroom he goes in his pull up. If you ask him what's in his pull up, he'll tell you peepee.  I know it took my daughter a while before she would go potty and caught on. How long do boys take? Or how can I encourage him to go? I thought if his dad took him in the bathroom when he went it would work. But his dad wasn't to happy about the idea.

Thanks for the help

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I am a total believer in teaching a boy to start sitting for both pee and poop to avoid confusion as to when they are supposed to stand and when they are supposed to sit.  There's no harm in learning first to pee sitting down but it's a big deal if a child thinks from the beginning they are supposed to stand to poop! LOL

This is the method I recommend: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post.  It's what I used with my son when he was 23 months old and I swear by it.  I've had a lot of moms read my journals, used the information and successfully trained their kids too.

My son was trained sitting and had no problem learning to stand to pee.  Plus, most guys do end up sitting and peeing when they are sitting to poop so it's not like sitting to pee is a skill they will never use. ;-)

Let me know if you have any questions.  I'll help anyway I can. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)