Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He goes once and thats it

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

MY son is 2 and he and I have started the wonderful journey I like to call"The Big Adventure".  This is my only problem I can get him to pull the pull ups down and he goes in the bathroom, but once he gets there he freezez up, or if I ask do you want to go potty its "No Mommie" and then out of now where he just goes in and does it himself.  What am I doing wrong, or should I just keeep letting it go this way to see if he can do it on his own time?

Thanks

TJ"s Mommie

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ajswenson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM

He's really young still.  I would follow his lead.  Also, I'd ditch the pullups.  My son never did get that they weren't diapers.  Just get some thick training under pants when you get to that point.  But really, he's really young so consider the times he has gone a HUGE success.

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM

If you don't know HOW to use the toilet, you don't know HOW to use the toilet.  It's not that he doesn't want to pee on the toilet, he just doesn't know HOW.  He has to learn how to relax his bladder muscles before he can use the toilet properly.  That's part of what he's learning with potty training. :-)

This is the method I used with my son when he was 23 months old: http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post.  It worked great for us.

Your best bet is to get rid of the pull ups and go straight to underwear.  Most kids use pull ups just like diapers because that's what they are, glorified diapers.  They pull the moisture away from the child's skin so there's no negative consequence for them if they wet them.  Most kids need the pee running down their legs to get them to realize that potty is better than pee running down the leg.

Consistancy is HUGE in potty training.  Keep on keeping on.  Don't bounce back and forth between underwear and pull ups during the daytime.  If you make potty training a top priority, your child will follow in your footsteps and follow your example.  If you are hit or miss with training, your child will be hit or miss with their success.

Let me know if you have questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)