Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared to go in Public bathrooms

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 185 Total Views

So my son used to love to go in public bathrooms when we first started training. Then, it flushed on him when he was still sitting and now he's scared to death! He starts screaming when I try to take him, his whole body shakes, he cries hysterically, and he desperately tries to get away from me. He even does this when the potty isn't automatic and I point that out to him. We tried post it notes over the sensor and he's still too scared to go.  We even went to a playdate at the mall one day and as soon as his friends showed up he told me he had to go and then this all happened when we got to the potty and he told me he wanted to go home and potty, so we left and he held it all the way home. This kind of thing has happened twice and he doesn't care that we miss out on fun and go home. He's also had a few accidents in public places because he refuses to go. I've forced him to sit on the potty and he won't go. He hasn't peed in public in a few months. He's even to the point now where we have this same struggle when I have to go. I tell him only I have to go potty and he doesn't even want to go into the restroom . He starts his fit before we even go in the door! I've thought about getting a travel potty but I don't want to give into his fear I want to teach him to face it and oversome it. It that being too harsh? What do you think? maybe he'll get over it with time?

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
trebelcleff
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM

The same sort of thing happened to ours too!  He still gets really nervous sometimes (the noise of the auto flush scared the living daylights out of him one day).  It was a struggle, but we just never gave in.  He was also afraid of having an accident though, so that helped our cause too.  I DID notice that he was more likely to go if I allowed him to stand up to pee (he has an "innie" and has HORRIBLE aim, so we have him sit on the potty usually)... I had to really help him with it, but it was worth the trouble of squatting and cleaning up after him to have him get more comfortable with going in public again.  Now, 9 times out of 10 he doesn't put up much of a fuss.  I also sometimes let him flush first before going so we can see how loud and splashy it will be BEFORE we go.  That seems to help a bit too.  Good luck and stay strong!

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I agree, train him to stand.  You can let him stand on the top of your feet so he's tall enough or you can just hold him up where he's "tall" enough to pee in the standing up position.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)