Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 and not wanting to use the potty on a regular basis.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

My daughter is my middle child.  She just turned 3 in June and has very little interest in potty training.  She'll use it succesfully a few days a month, only to stop using it.  I didn't have this kind of trouble with my son and had him fully trained in 2 weeks.  I've tried the reward system, tried underwear (big messes everywhere), I've tried having her go when I went, schedualed times, you name it I've tried it.  I'm wondering if maybe the birth of her brother, who's now 11 months, may be the reason.  But I don't think that's a good enough excuse.  lol  Any suggestions?  She does tell me when she has to go or when she has gone.  But if you say, "Let's go sit on the potty."  She refuses.  HELP!!!!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Does she ever go for one or more days in a row without having any messes in her pants?  If so, how many days in a row does she go without a mess?

What's she wearing during the day?

bettyboop330
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

try giving her a reward when she sdoes  go, like a prize or something. and do this every

so often to see what happen.

welcome spring.gif

CookieMomma3
by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM

She does stay dry during the day for several days a week.  It's maybe. . .2-3 times a week she'll be wet.  She does go and sit on the potty after a little coaxing.  She is in Pull-Ups.  She does have underwear, but we found that wasn't a good idea after a week of her peeing anywhere and everywhere without warning.  I have 2 other kids; youngest being 11 months and can't have urine all over the carpet.  Steam cleaner can only do so much.  lol  When she does pee, she tells us and she even knows when she's about to go.  But once we get her on the potty, she won't go.  She does have a nasty habit of holding her bowels too.  She's already had an obstructed bowel from backing up.  She takes an occasional stool softener.   (I'm so glad she can't read what I'm posting about her).  I just wish she'd be more consistant with using the potty.

CookieMomma3
by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I do the award thing, but she could care less at times.  She's stubborn.  lol

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I'd put her in underwear and let her know that she will be put into a cold/lukewarm shower EVERY SINGLE TIME she pees/poops on herself.  She's just being lazy and needs to know that there are consequences for her behaviors.  If she wasn't fully trained and wasn't going days to weeks without any messes I wouldn't recommend that option but she's fully trained, just being lazy.

Put her into the cold/lukewarm shower and get her in, get her clean and get her out- no toys, no fun, just business.  Let her know it WILL happen every single time she pees/poops on herself.

A lot of moms have tried this and it has worked for them.

lovelymommy4782
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Quoting CookieMomma3:

She does stay dry during the day for several days a week.  It's maybe. . .2-3 times a week she'll be wet.  She does go and sit on the potty after a little coaxing.  She is in Pull-Ups.  She does have underwear, but we found that wasn't a good idea after a week of her peeing anywhere and everywhere without warning.  I have 2 other kids; youngest being 11 months and can't have urine all over the carpet.  Steam cleaner can only do so much.  lol  When she does pee, she tells us and she even knows when she's about to go.  But once we get her on the potty, she won't go.  She does have a nasty habit of holding her bowels too.  She's already had an obstructed bowel from backing up.  She takes an occasional stool softener.   (I'm so glad she can't read what I'm posting about her).  I just wish she'd be more consistant with using the potty.

I had the same problem with my oldest. By the 5th or 6th time I finally had her potty trained. I tried the pull-ups because of a lot of moms swore by them when it came to potty training. Chloe thought they were just like diapers so she constantly went in them. I finally went out bought her 2 packs of underwear (the ones she wanted) and 2 potty seats (because I had my other child who was copying her sister in everything). I put them where she played the most and no matter how many accidents she had I still kept her in underwear during the day. Within 2 weeks she was potty trained and that was 7 months ago, she just started going to bed with them on (after she goes potty before getting in bed). Now her sister is potty trained and it took Hailey 3/4 days until she was completely trained. Going with underwear is better than pull-ups. Children don't like feeling wet or icky in their private area. I hope this helps.

Mommy of 2 little angels

Mom2MonkeyGeese
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Question about the shower thing - I'm having the same problem and have been looking for alternative consequences to accidents b/c frankly, nothing seems to be working and she doesn't seem to care that her pants are wet!

Now, lately, she has been interested in taking showers - I'd like to still try this method, but should I just keep the water cooler to show that this is a consequence of having an accident rather than a fun thing??

Stephanie06
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM

The shower thing did wonders with me son. He had 2 , and hasn't had anymore accidents in almost a week. He even told me one time as he was running through the house to get to the potty in time "no cold shower mommy!"  I can't believe it worked! He'd never taken a shower before, so I'm not sure about it if the child is interested in showers. But, definately try it. Make sure you're in and out quick (that way they can't have fun!)

Andrewsmom70
by Group Owner on Sep. 3, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Mom2MonkeyGeese:

Question about the shower thing - I'm having the same problem and have been looking for alternative consequences to accidents b/c frankly, nothing seems to be working and she doesn't seem to care that her pants are wet!

Now, lately, she has been interested in taking showers - I'd like to still try this method, but should I just keep the water cooler to show that this is a consequence of having an accident rather than a fun thing??

Cool/lukewarm and make it as miserable as possible.  You don't want her wanting to make a mess so she can take a shower.  No fun, no games.  Just get in, get clean and get out- water as cold as you can make it to make it miserable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)