Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to this

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 5:03 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

Hi my name is Kristen and my husband is in the process of signing with the Navy active duty and I was wondering what I am getting myself into. I kind of know a little bit because my brother is in the army national guard and has been deployed to Iraq but was wondering what the difference was with the Navy.

Thanks Kristen

by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
stayathomehero
by on Aug. 2, 2008 at 12:09 PM

army and navy are definately different.  my husband was active army for 5 years and then went active navy this april.  and it has been an interesting change.  things seem a little more laid back and friendly in some ways and more strict in others.  i personally enjoy our healthcare (we have tricare prime..the way to go in my opinion), their "reliable" pay (which CAN get screwed up from time to time so keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on it!), and the stability of it all.  That is just financially speaking.  i haven't experienced deployment with the navy.  no matter what branch it is deployment sucks!  so you have to be strong and always support your hubby.  i hate to say this but there will be times when you simply CAN'T come first just b/c the job requires him to be doing something else.  military life is hard, but do able!  and it can be a good thing if you have a positive attitude and aren't selfish.  my hubby and i have been married going on 4 years and are about to have our 3rd baby.  we have been through 2 deployments (with the army) and have dealt with the finance mess ups (thank you navy).  and im not going to lie...it HAS been hard.  but we were out for seriously 2 months while he was going from army to navy and i NEVER want to do that again!  we enjoy being a military family...regardless the sacrifices.  i get to stay home with my kids and he gets to do a job he enjoys.  im sorry for rambling...are there specific things about the navy life you were curious about?  it would make answering your post easier.  especially since every family experiences different things.  what is your hubby going for as for job?  my hubby is doing the whole aircrew thing and LOVES it so far.  well..good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)