Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bone Graph

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 703 Total Views

So hello ladies, its me Korena and Devan, were getting set for Devan's surgery this coming August 4th....They'll be taking bone from the hip and placing it above the gums under his lip.....just heads up on what happens with a 11year old!

Korena and Devan

with a smile group hug

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mikeynlexismom
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM

My son had his bone graft done a little over a year ago.  He was also 11.  His hip was extremely sore for a week or so but he never had any pain in his mouth. His face swelled up pretty bad.  His face actually looked like he had a baseball in his cheek which is very normal so expect that along witha  lot of bruising.  It is very important to get him up and walking as soon as he is awake because the more he uses his hip the easier his recovery will be. He had his surgery during the school year so he was out of school for about a week and they wanted his activity restricted to make sure he did not get hit in the mouth.   My son was on a liquid diet for the first 4 or 5 day and then they switched him to a soft food diet for the next few weeks.  We had follow up appointments pretty much every week for a month then again at 3 months to take xrays to make sure the bone was settling in place well. This was one of the hardest surgeries he has had to go through.

MommyMacyx2
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I had my bone graft done when i was 19.  It was sore for awhile, couldn't really walk on it for about a week.  Don't want to scare ya but i also have resisdual nerve damage.  Now 26 and still having issues, but i guess you also have to consider i had the twins a year later.  All that extra weight and stress didn't help much.

Be careful using stuff like SlimFast and Ensure, especially if he is on Percs or Morphine orally. (I recommend Tylenol with Codine once he makes it home.  It is enough to control the hip/mouth pain but won't upset his stomach.)  That stuff is rich and the painkillers upset your stomach.  Chicken broth is your best friend for about a week.  If he has braces, you will want Peroxcide and cotton swabs.  He will get clotted blood in his mouth and it adheres the stiches to the braces.

I wish you all good luck.  Hopefully everything goes well.  You will be in my thoughts.

cshort1010
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info. My son is 8 years old and just got his braces last week. His doctor said that he will be ready for his bone graft surgery by the end of this year so I am reading around for any info and advice that I can get!
HappyMe14
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I had the same graph when I was eight ( i have cleft lip and palate)  hope the surgery goes smoothly!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)