Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so worried!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 402 Total Views

So my sweet baby boy will be 7 months on on the 20th!! I can't believe it! But I am having the HARDEST TIME getting him to eat solids! I have been trying for almost 2 months now and i am VERY consistent with the process! It's like he'll take 1 but and the wont open his mouth anymore. I don't know what to do. I can't help but think he will become malnourished. The only way he will eat ANY kind of solids is through his bottle and i know that's a " NO NO" please don't bash me for feeding him that way but i am worried about him. I have tried everything different textures, mixed it with rice and oatmeal, bought different brands, Different flavors i am at a loss! please can someone give me some advice on this.

** Oh i just wanted to let everyone know that i found out the the makers of the pigeon bottles make sippy cups with a extra long spout to act as a palate and encourage sucking. I think the are $15 and as soon as i find the website i saw them on i will post it here. Thanks for all your help and advice.**

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
heather_19
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I guess i'll bump myself since there were some views and no replies

So self..here is a bump..lol

rbade
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM

My son did the same thing.  It took a while to get him to eat solids and when he did we couldn't get him to stop eating.  He was the endless pit!  I think you're doing everything right.  It gets frustrating but just keep tryen.  Good luck!

Moosical97
by Member on Jan. 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I think you are starting earlier than we did (certainly at getting him eating it regularly...)... Isaac was having his palate repaired at 9 months and that was going to change everything, so we didn't rush into it...  I had a lot of people that gave me kind of funny looks we started playing with real food, probably about 6 months... (after they took his Latham appliance out...) and then he was in at 9 months to have his palate repaired so we played with it - but we didn't push it.  Then after his palate was fully repaired (and healed - and we waited longer than I'm sure we needed to, just so we didn't take any chances) then we really started trying to get him to eat what we ate...  I guess we did do the solids (by solids I mean the applesauce consistency foods) and when he wouldn't eat it, I took a bite and then he wanted it...  You have to be careful though - if you take that route, start with something you will like - it makes it easier on both of you.  And if you don't like it, make sure you make yummy happy sounds or you will be in big trouble!  :)  But Isaac eventually stopped fighting it, and now he will at least try almost anything we give him - and we are pretty much done with the jar foods (except an occasional jar of fruit or something still in the cupboard... stuff that is just left over from before he would eat what we eat). 

The other thought - Phil and I were concerned about it too, and we just kept giving him one or two bottles of formula everyday... that way he got his nutritional stuff from the formula - and then we experimented with the food...  as long as he is still getting the formula (or breast milk) he'll get what he needs - no need to worry about malnutrition.  Plus, you can talk to your Ped about a multivitamin type thing.  She had suggested the Polyvisol (I think that is what it was) his first winter (when he was 5 months old ish) to make sure he got enough vitamin D... so that may be something to look at too, if you are concerned.

Good luck with the foods!!  :)

Nikki - Mom to Isaac - born 7/18/07 with a cleft lip and palate

about 5 weeks, about 9 months, and about 14 months

gabesmom33
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:02 PM

My son Zayden had his palate surgery when he was 11 months old.  Before his surgery, he wouldn't and couldn't do solids because it would go straight up his nose, gag him and then he would throw up.  We would fix him what we called "power shakes" (formula, cereal, and baby food).  It may be a no no but it worked and he got plenty of food that way.   It did take him a few weeks to start eating solids even after the surgery, but we started slow. Stage 1 baby foods then moved on to stage 3 with the spoon feeding.  He is now 13 months old and he eats all kinds of people food.  What I think helped him a lot with the people food is, he has a twin sister that didn't have any kind of palate problems, what ever she was eating we would take some of it and just put it on his tray.  He would try a little on his own to where he was stealing stuff off her tray.  I think the idea that he had control of what was going in his mouth helped him not gag and throw up.  I hope this helps.  The "power shakes" were a life saver!  :)

Baby_kisses
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 4:03 PM

we made cyrus jealous, we would be eatting fun foods like popcicles and 'pretty foods' (colorful like we put sprinkles on toast to make it interesting)we also made a big deal of eatting it like chewing and made it seem fun soon enough he loved putting it in his mouth and chewing like we all did he likes cheeses that was one of the first things i gave him and soft cheesies(those chips) he hates mushy foods, so that was a problem because im afraid of him hurting his mouth with the foods he wants to eat, oreo cookies(the outside) are good starter snacks because the like melt when wet, also boiled veggies and canned fruits because they are easy to self feed but soft enough

click here

Baby_kisses
by on Mar. 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM

lol when i told my mom how i would mix the baby foods into his bottles she thought is was nasty, we also gave him soups all blended up well honestly I would blend up any food we ate then put it in his baba, it was kinda gross mixing all the food like that but hey its all the same inside right

Quoting gabesmom33:

My son Zayden had his palate surgery when he was 11 months old.  Before his surgery, he wouldn't and couldn't do solids because it would go straight up his nose, gag him and then he would throw up.  We would fix him what we called "power shakes" (formula, cereal, and baby food).  It may be a no no but it worked and he got plenty of food that way.   It did take him a few weeks to start eating solids even after the surgery, but we started slow. Stage 1 baby foods then moved on to stage 3 with the spoon feeding.  He is now 13 months old and he eats all kinds of people food.  What I think helped him a lot with the people food is, he has a twin sister that didn't have any kind of palate problems, what ever she was eating we would take some of it and just put it on his tray.  He would try a little on his own to where he was stealing stuff off her tray.  I think the idea that he had control of what was going in his mouth helped him not gag and throw up.  I hope this helps.  The "power shakes" were a life saver!  :)

click here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)