Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to find points for homemade food?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 455 Total Views

How to find points for homemade food? I do not have e tools yet so i can't that way. Why im asking is we make a lot of stuff that dose not come in a box to say. Like last night i eat at my father in laws and we had Spahetti so i looked in the book that i have and i came up with 11 points there whats with a cup spahetti then so much meat sauce. so i did it that way. But there is alot more he cooks that i cant find in the book. LIke he makes his own sweet and sour soup that has potatos and all othere kinds of stuff in it even meat.. how would i count something like that???  But i have been trying to keep what ever i eat town to 1 to 1 1/2 cup so it would be less points so im doing proshen contral at least there.. Thank you for your time.. 

by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
toymomto2boys
by Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It will be so much easier when you get e-tools, but when figuring a recipe you take every ingredient, find the pointsplus values, add up all the values and divide by how many servings you get.  So if you add up all the ingredients and you have 48 pointsplus values and you get 8 servings each serving willb e 6 pointsplus values. 

Does that help at all?

Karen

shyanntech
by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM

A little bit its hard when i dont know what he puts in it.. on my i can do that becouse i can see what ever i put in it.. But i will try to do it like this if i can find what he puts in it.. thank you 

rocamom
by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Unless you know the ingredients it will be hard no matter what to find the points.  I hope who ever is cooking will help you out.,. GOOD LUCK!

Quoting shyanntech:

A little bit its hard when i dont know what he puts in it.. on my i can do that becouse i can see what ever i put in it.. But i will try to do it like this if i can find what he puts in it.. thank you 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

AgentBrez
by on Jan. 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Sometimes you have to estimate. Do the best you can, keep your portions small. You'll do better than you think I bet!

Quoting shyanntech:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shyanntech
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM

When i started weight watchers i was 180 lbs, the next time i went in i was 176.2 lbs which is -4.0.. well last thursday i was 176.6 i gain 0.2oz yes it is 2 oz but i was hoping i was able to understand the diet it better now.. :( so i hope i get better at this soon.... the leader said eat more lean proteins and start to wieght my food.. so im going to start doing that and mussering it all out.. like today i had oatmeal with 1 tbs jelly to give it favaver.. 

rocamom
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:33 AM

weighing, measuring, tracking, and moving..  That's all I can say.. I'm pretty good at the first 3 but NOT the moving.. I can ALWAYS move my butt more than I do..  It can be a challenge at first trying to lear what food is how many points especially if you aren't the one cooking.. My hubby LOVES to put butter in and on EVERYTHING when he cooks so for that, I stepped up and do 95% of the cooking..  I know what's in my food and I do the best to use the builder to find out my points at the beginning of the day so I know what I have to play with..  Planning is a big one for me too..  I hope it turns around on you..  Stay within your points and you should do fine.. The other thing for me is I really can't use many of my 49 if I do then I know it's not going to be a good week.. I know other people who use EVERY extra point and do fine. 

Work with  your leader and follow the program..  GOOD LUCK!!!

Quoting shyanntech:

When i started weight watchers i was 180 lbs, the next time i went in i was 176.2 lbs which is -4.0.. well last thursday i was 176.6 i gain 0.2oz yes it is 2 oz but i was hoping i was able to understand the diet it better now.. :( so i hope i get better at this soon.... the leader said eat more lean proteins and start to wieght my food.. so im going to start doing that and mussering it all out.. like today i had oatmeal with 1 tbs jelly to give it favaver.. 

AgentBrez
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM
ITs common to gain a little, maintain or loose only a little your second weigh in. Try not to loose heart! I am a lifetime member working my way back to goal weight after having a baby and I promise the program works! Definitely measure and weigh when you can. It will also help you have a good idea of portion sizes when you are out. Hang in there!

Quoting shyanntech:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shyanntech
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:34 AM

ok now i got a food question the last 2 days i made oatmeal and mal o meal. well in the oatmeal i put a 1 tbs spoon of jelly in it. in the mal o meal i put a tbs off preserves.. here is the question they both are 1 point.. but what is the diffents from jelly and preserves?? i really dont like plain stuff so i got to have something in it.. i though this way i get a little fruit in my oatmeal and mal o meal..  kids like it we now eat brafast which is new to the kids im not a morning person anyone will tell you that.. i like my coffee and thats it so this is a change.. yes im messing my stuff out.. thank you

shyanntech
by on Jan. 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM

i weight in last trusday and i lost 1.8 lbs ya watching my food really close and getting to walk is starting to help..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)