Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Awake/Asleep

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 214 Total Views
Do you know about how long your baby is awake/asleep each day?
I try to shoot for 9-10 hours awake. He get up between 6 & 7, naps for 2-3 hrs at 9, dozes for 10 min-1hr at 1, then again sometime between 3 &4 he sleeps for 1-2 hrs, and sometimes he falls asleep again after that - depends on how much he has been up that day. I put him down for bed at 8:30 and he usually falls asleep w/in 10 min - but sometimes he sings to himself for a while or cries....
I am just wondering if he is typical...
by on May. 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
yezay
by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM
I believe that I read somewhere that it says that babies can now stay up for like 10 hours a day.  I think it depends on the baby though.  My son is 3 months old and he must be going through a growth spirt.
He slept:

9am-30 minutes
10am-2 1/2 hours
1-1 1/12 hours
and he just fell asleep again at 4:45 and hes been asleep for a half hour so far.
He usually goes to bed around 8:30 and is still waking up once in the middle of the night because he is hungry and hten again at about 5 am and then hes up for good around 7:30am

I think hes doing pretty well I'd just like to skip that 2 am feeding.
momoflukas
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2007 at 6:48 PM
My baby has always been wierd about the sleep thing.  He fights naps and doesn't like to sleep much.  I think he has slept a total of maybe two hours in naps today.  Also he didn't sleep much last night.  We were pretty much up the whole night.  He use to be such a good sleeper until he got RSV and he is better now but he needs to get back into the habit.
momof3inCT
by Member on May. 4, 2007 at 10:37 PM
Well this is my 3rd baby and I have a girl and I was told they sleep better then boys and she does but our schedule is pretty much the same as you said. she only wakes 1x per night at like 4am feeds goes back to sleep and wakes at 8am eats and is up for 1hr or so sleeps for 1 hour then she eats and stays awake for about 2 hours take a nap wakes and eats during the day she wants to eat every 2 and 1/2 hours but around 8:30 she is cranky and falls asleep wakes at 10:30 to eat again and if she doesnt wake I wake her to eat so she can go longer through the night. I am breastfeeding so she doesnt go longer then 4am but one day.... lets hope soon she will! Ahhhhhhhhhh sleep is over rated right? Hee hee...But seriously I have noticed a change in the past month on less sleep during the day I guess growth time.can do that. And 2 older brothers making noise!
DavidsMOMxox
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 11:12 PM
I think it is wonderful your baby sleeps so well.

My son is 3 and a half months. He has slept through the night since he was about 7-8 weeks. It is wonderful.

However, he almost never naps. Catnaps maybe! Ten minutes here or there... but never totaling more than an hour or two daily.  I find it very hard to get any task accomplished b/c everytime I lay him down, he is up again! haha.
MotherElf
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Gosh, our little Ryan used to be on a perfect schedule of his own choosing.  He would wake and eat 4 ounces of formula at exactly 12am, 4am, 8am, 12pm, 4pm and 8pm and sleep in between.  However, starting a couple weeks ago (he is now 6 weeks), he decided he wanted to eat 6 ounces every 4 hours and sleep about 7 1/2 hours at night.  We were worried at first and still tried to feed him at night, but he simply refused to eat, so we let him make his new schedule.  Sometimes he gets cranky during the day when he tries to stay awake too long just staring at things, but a couple minutes of rocking usually puts him right back to sleep.  I would say he is awake a good 8-10 hours during the day though.  Just kind of sitting and staring at everything.. he seems so alert to us, but this is our first, so maybe it is normal.
cammattsophie
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 12:10 AM
My daughter is almost 5 1/2 months and it sounds like she's on the same schedule as your son. There are days, though, when her naps total about 2 hours which makes for a VERY long day!
mumtotwoboys
by Member on May. 5, 2007 at 8:35 AM
I would say you're right on target...that's almost exactly Noel's schedule at the moment.  And for all of you catnappers out there, he just started taking longer naps about three weeks ago, before that they were only a half an hour each.  Noel goes to bed usually b/w 7:00-7:30 and wakes b/w 5:30 and 6:30 for the day.  He naps for 1-2.5 hours about an hour and a half or two hours after waking.  Then goes another two hours before taking a shorter 30min-1 hr nap.  Then is awake another two hours and goes down for a second long nap (1.5 to 2.5 hours).  Depending on the time it is then he may or may not take another little catnap before bed.  Noel doesn't sleep through the night yet most nights.  He usually wakes once anywhere b/w 2:30 and 5:00am to eat.     The past couple of days he seems to be pushing more towards a two-three nap day though with solid morning and afternoon naps without the catnap in b/w.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)