Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing Solids?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 304 Total Views
I was wondering when you all are introducing solids. My son is almost 4 months old and I'm not sure to start at 4 months or wait until about 6 months. Do you know what others recommend, and what do you recommend??
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM
i waited til jaedyn's pediatrician said that she was ready for it... when she had doubled her birth weight, has good head support, and is drinking more than 40-ish ounces... this was last week and she will be 5 months this week.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:07 PM
I started Lukas at four months on cereal at night because he kept waking up in the night crying because he was hungry.  Now he is five months and he eats a little bit of fruits or vegies with his cereal.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:22 PM

From what I've heard a lot of pediatricians are recommending waiting till they are 6 months now, since they don't NEED anything but breastmilk/formula until then and apparently starting solids early on top of all the milk/formula (mainly the formula I think) can make them gain more weight than they should.

At least that's what I've read.  However, I started offering Gwennie baby food at 3 months or so.  Right after she hit 4 mo she started actually eating it and really seemed to enjoy it.  My ped reccommended I wait (since she's big already), but she was just ready, I'd been fighting her to get her to lean back and eat her bottle for months and was already interested in what we ate and trying to copy us.  (Plus I just generally don't like her ped, but we're moving next month anyway.)

Since she's started solids she's been fine, no rediculous weight gain like her doc was worried about, it holds her over better so she's actually slowed down on formula but still getting the amount she needs nutritionally (between 30 and 35 oz most days) and her height's still comparable to her weight.  So really nothing has changed.  And she loves it, she really enjoys it and leans in to try to grab the bowl of food and the spoon - which is a mess but a good sign! 

She usually goes through two containers of the Gerber 1st foods a day, one veggie and one fruit.  I'm thinking of moving on to the Stage 2 foods soon since they come in bigger containers and have more variety, so far she's liked everything we've tried and we've tried everything but prunes, peas, and green beans!

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 3:37 PM
We will not start until 6 months.
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM
I heard it is better to start solids when he is six months cause of allergies. I started marcus on cereal a week ago...he is almost five months. I probably wont start him on solids till six months. But I know people that have started their child on solids earlier and been totally fine!
by Member on Jun. 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM
I started giving Justin cereal a week or two before he was 4 months. He caught on pretty quickly. When we went for our 4 month appointment the ped told us we could start cereal. I told her we already had and she said that his head control and weight were good. She said when he got the hang of eating the cereal (more in the mouth than on him) that we should start veggies. She just recommended veggies first b/c some babies will refuse the veggies if you start with sweet fruits first. He's loved everything he's tried so far except prunes. But that didn't really suprise me!! They looked and smelled terrible!! I think it really just depends on the child though.
by on Jun. 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM
I started Graden on cereal at 3months with his dr permission. last Wednesday i introdueced him to Carrots. lol he wasnt too sure about it

by Member on Jun. 18, 2007 at 1:44 PM
The boys arent into cereal too much yet so we are taking it slow. They are 4 months and Dr said to go ahead and start.

I started both my girls at 3 months and they took to it right away. Everyone has their own opinion when to start.
by Member on Jun. 21, 2007 at 9:27 PM
aurora started rice in her formula at 7 weeks and at 3 1/2 months she started getting some fruit.  now she is almost 5 1/2 months and gets a fruit in the mid-morning with her bottle and a vegetable in the mid-evening.  she is NOT gaining weight at a ridiculous pace and she LOVES the food...actually already understands how to do it herself, just doesnt quite have the finese it takes, lol!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)