Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have an advanced toddler?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 479 Total Views

My boy has a gift with letters and numbers.  Is there anyone else who has a gifted toddler?  I'm just looking for moms to talk to that can relate.  I'm wondering if maybe anyone could give me advice or resources.  If there are any special programs available... or anything special I can do for him other than the day-to-day learning. 

Thanks

My Flickr
Photography by Kat Benson. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
HannahsMom0109
by Member on Mar. 14, 2009 at 1:04 AM

I would do a search for your state's grade level expectations for kindergarten or contact your local school district.  Other than that, reading, playing games, talking and getting out into the world are the best experiences for early learning.  Let your child take the lead...

Bookwormy
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Shayna is pretty amazing with numbers & letters as well.  However, I completely agree with the first reply.  Stick with the basics.  I don't think that pushing this is so great.  Read counting & ABC books & your child will gain more skills in the area.  Remember to narrate lifes counting, like, "Wow!  You had three cookies and then you ate one.  I wonder how many you have left.  Let's count from one.  One, two.  You have two cookies left.  Yummy!"  That is the kind of thing we do with Shayna all the time & she is starting to really understand how to manipulate numbers & aapply them in real life I think.

Good Luck!

Samantha

Hate Is NOT a Family Value.

gogetem
by on Mar. 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Thanks, ladies.  He's progressing on his own, I'm just supporting him and encouraging him along the way.  I'm really just concerned about him hitting grade level.  I don't know if I should put him in regular classes.  I'll have to do some research in the state... just not sure where the military will have us in the next coming months.  he is with me all day, every day, too.  I'm also concerned that he needs a new face to talk numbers and letters with.  He counted to 200 today.... Very proud of him. 

My Flickr

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)