• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

starting

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

Hi my name is Patricia and I am looking for a little or lot guidance.  My son Nicholas is a little over two years old.  He was evalauated with our county early intervention service and they are very concerned about autism red flags - mainly very delayed communiation skills - verbal and non verbal - poor social development and receptive skills, also he does play with cars a fair amt without making car noises or toy noises in general among various things that of course I thought were just Nicholas.  He is now receiving ABA therapy daily with the county services. 

The administrator came by yesterday and she feels that he is progressing very well, so we are hopeful. In the last couple of months his speech has been progressing and he has lots of single words now and a couple of words together, also points well when asked for different things and can follow several single step directions.

I am considering starting him on the diet for this reason and also Nicholas has had very loose stools since he was a little over a year.  Our ped did do a blood test a couple of months ago and said everything was fine and that he will grow out of the loose stools or maybe just have this always, but he is growing well and doesn't have any other signs of GI distress and has been very healthy otherwise (some colds basically).  I have read a lot about the GI connection and autism as well as other developmental delays and my husband and I have decided to at least try it for now, probably start with the casein free first for a while and see if we notice a difference.

As I start on this, I plan to begin with first introducing almond milk - it seems that is a lot more nutritrious than the other substitutes, does anyone use the pacific brand? is there a cheese substitute and butter substitute that anyone recommends? is tapioca ok?, my kids (Nicholas has a twin sister) love yogurt so I was thinking about about this as a substitute

I would appreciate any help, thank a lot

Patty

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momnlovinit
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM

We use Blue Diamond Almond breeze I buy at Whole Foods. We also use Earth Balance instead of butter. Cheese is a tough one I don't know. Anyway I just stared as well with my 4 yo son. A really good cookbook I reccomend is is The Kid friendly ADHD &Autism cookbook it teaches all about the GF/CF diet and gives substitutes. It is really helpful. Best of luck!!!

Cynthia35T
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I am 'mommy' to a wonderful 2 year old that has all the signs of autism and we use Dairy Ease milk and Smart Balance Omegalite butter (You have to get the lite because it doesn't have any dairy in it. We also eat Ezekiel bread a lot. Plus I have found a ton of gf/cf stuff both online and at the various health food stores in town and I make pretty much every supper from scratch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)