Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My cockatiel is psycho!! HELP!!!

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 610 Total Views
My male cockatiel divebombs my head and tries to attack me whenever I walk by his cage.  He's very aggressive and cage territorial.  Why does he do this?  Someone told me that at this point I should get rid of him because he's too mean.  Thoughts / suggestions???
by on Sep. 29, 2007 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rsue92
by on Sep. 29, 2007 at 6:20 PM
I have a male cockatiel, Gandolph who has a MAJOR attitude. He has been that way since day one. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him! (Who else would want a mean bird?) I have just learned that that is how is his and I love him. Now, the other male Pagen, (my lutino male) who shares a cage with Gandolph, (and 2 other females), is the sweetest bird. I can pick him right up without him biting me and my children can handle him, too.
 Do you clip your bird's wings? That would prevent him from dive bombing your head. As far as his cage? I don't know what to tell you. I can put my hands in my birds' cages with no problems.
 If you ever get another bird, I would just get it it's own cage.
 The 2 babies I have hand fed are in a seperate cage from their parents and they are the SWEETEST birds.
My son with the babies, Pippen and Popcorn.

MySpace URL:    http://www.myspace.com/beckysawtelle

goldenfox
by on Sep. 29, 2007 at 8:18 PM

Quoting rsue92:
 I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him! (Who else would want a mean bird?)
The breeder I bought him from will take him back and use him as a breeder.  I feel bad to do that to him, but maybe he'd be happier with other birds?? 

I'm just really burned out on cleaning up all the bird poo from the floors, windows, walls, etc., washing his cage, taking care of him - all for nothing in return.  He's not fun, we can't play with him...what's the point??  I guess I'm getting discouraged (could you tell? ha ha)

Quote:

Do you clip your bird's wings? That would prevent him from dive bombing your head.
The only way I can clip them is to use a massive leather glove, and he still bites as hard as he can thru that.  Someone else told me that the glove will terrify him and not to do that.  But there is no other way to trim him wings (without losing a finger).  It does seem to stop the divebombing, but he still bites...

What does it mean when he sort of shakes his wings and head with his beak open?  It seems aggressive to me - he does it all the time. 
rsue92
by on Sep. 30, 2007 at 9:52 AM

Quoting goldenfox:

Quoting rsue92:
 I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him! (Who else would want a mean bird?)
The breeder I bought him from will take him back and use him as a breeder.  I feel bad to do that to him, but maybe he'd be happier with other birds?? 

I'm just really burned out on cleaning up all the bird poo from the floors, windows, walls, etc., washing his cage, taking care of him - all for nothing in return.  He's not fun, we can't play with him...what's the point??  I guess I'm getting discouraged (could you tell? ha ha)

Quote:

Do you clip your bird's wings? That would prevent him from dive bombing your head.
The only way I can clip them is to use a massive leather glove, and he still bites as hard as he can thru that.  Someone else told me that the glove will terrify him and not to do that.  But there is no other way to trim him wings (without losing a finger).  It does seem to stop the divebombing, but he still bites...

What does it mean when he sort of shakes his wings and head with his beak open?  It seems aggressive to me - he does it all the time. 
Well, if the breeder was willing to take him back, then maybe he would be happier. It sounds like he wasn't handled much as a baby. My 2 birds that I hand fed were contantly handled, and still are. My 3 year old can handle them, (as you see in the picture.)
 Yes, what you described does sound like a threatening gesture.
 I have to use gloves to clip Gandolph's wings,- but better than him flying loose all over the house.
 Cockatiels are very messy birds, as are parakeets, lovebirds, quakers, etc.. I don't know what bird isn't messy! I am constantly vacuming and dusting,- but my house wouldn't be the same without my birds, (7 cockatiels, 1 lovebird). I also have a rabbit, 3 mice, a sugar glider, 4 cats and 2 dogs, fish, (and a partridge in a pear tree, lol!).
 Yes, it can be a lot of work, but I love them all!

MySpace URL:    http://www.myspace.com/beckysawtelle

cbear3720
by on Dec. 14, 2007 at 11:50 AM
I hope you still have your bird.  We have 4 cockatiels. Our latest one was an adoption from a home that kept him in a too small cage (l wouldn't even keep an canary in it).  He came to our home scared, disoriented. 

First I put him in a larger cage and let him see and hear the other birds.  A few days later I went to the bird store to have them trim his wings.  When I grabbed him, He bit through my fingernail.  

Now 5 months later we realize he is unable to fly (I don't know from what, we probably got him that way).  He shares a large cage with 3 other cocatiels.  If he falls off the cage onto the floor, he will step up to get to his friends.  (I have the cage open for Flying if they want or just climing),   I did read somewhere (and I have tryed it with "nature"), to gently hold them in a towel, and careful pet their heads ( for a little bit), then put him back.  The idea is to get him to realize you are not going to hurt him.

If he is cage aggressive...once a week move the toys around, lower the cage, so you are higher.  Don't reach in the cage unless you have a cracker or treat that he can bite first

good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN