Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

irresponsible bird owners

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 209 Total Views
I think we've all come across these people at one time or another. I have a friend whom has 5 parrots in her garage( an African grey, 2 cockatoos, a Macaw and an Amazon), all in terribly small cages. They get pretty much no attention except for when their cages are cleaned and their food/water is changed. I have asked her if she'd like me to take any of them "off of her hands" but she actually thinks they are properly cared for. I also visited a pet store a few days ago where there were several cockatiels in a filthy cage not suitable for a finch. I just don't understand it. Birds, especially parrots, are some of the most intelligent domesticated animals available as pets and people treat them worse than a gold fish. I saw an ad for a Macaw in the newspaper asking $500. Yep, $500. It didn't even mention which type of Macaw or the sex. I just know that bird is probably neglected. It's so difficult to resist "pity purchasing" from these kinds of people. Anyway, I guess I was just interested in what you guys have encountered and what you think about it.

Moms Against Circumcision
http://www.cafemom.com/group/7709

Adam Joseph 11/27/06

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cathrine98
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM
It's heartbreaking isn't it?

We have a petstore here in town (one of the few unfortunately) and I decided to pop in and take a look.  There was this poor cockatiel, sitting on a lone perch in the middle of a large parrot cage.  No toys, the perch was even a tad big for him.  He looked so sad and pitiful and if I could have, I would have snatched him up in an instant and brought him home.

I do have to say, on the other hand, my husband and I went to our local Petsmart (in Omaha) and their birds were the happiest I have ever seen.  The lovebirds were just chirping away (lovebirds don't sing much, so finding one, let alone 5 that happy was amazing) and the cockatiels were literally running to the front of their cage in curiosity whenever someone would approach.  I was extremely impressed.
Nataleigh79
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 12:51 PM
I worked at Petsmart in Gainesville Georgia for 3 years and I can say that we took very good care of our animals.  I worked in the aquatic section which is responsible for all of the fish, animals and bird in the store. We played with them (except for the fish of course!) at every opportunity. I loved it so much but then I got pregnant and quit.  I have seen some very deplorable conditions in one of the local small business pet stores though.  We call it Stinky Pets.  The real name is Village Pets.
Quoting cathrine98:

It's heartbreaking isn't it?

We have a petstore here in town (one of the few unfortunately) and I decided to pop in and take a look. There was this poor cockatiel, sitting on a lone perch in the middle of a large parrot cage. No toys, the perch was even a tad big for him. He looked so sad and pitiful and if I could have, I would have snatched him up in an instant and brought him home.

I do have to say, on the other hand, my husband and I went to our local Petsmart (in Omaha) and their birds were the happiest I have ever seen. The lovebirds were just chirping away (lovebirds don't sing much, so finding one, let alone 5 that happy was amazing) and the cockatiels were literally running to the front of their cage in curiosity whenever someone would approach. I was extremely impressed.

adamsmama
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 4:33 PM
I have to agree. At least in my area, the large chain stores take much better care of their animals. They really can't get away with not having good conditions.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Moms Against Circumcision
http://www.cafemom.com/group/7709

Adam Joseph 11/27/06

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)