Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is my cockatiel crying?

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 545 Total Views

At least that what it sounds like it's doing. And how do I tell if it's a girl or a boy? It is a prety quiet bird. 8 weeks old, we just got it home today. It steps up and doesn't attwempt to fly away, but it'll sit on our shoulders and make a sound lie it's crying, but it also makes that sound if it's the cage only when we talk to it. is it really crying or what? it makes me sad. I want our bird to be happy. Any other suggestion or information on cockatiels would be great thanks

Sarah Mother to Triston Alexander - Age 3

Pregnant with Landon William due Aug. 11th

by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
playsunnysea
by Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 1:28 PM
...where did you get your cockatiel from? was he/she still being handfed when you got her? The crying thing might be that she/he still expects to be handfed... What size cage do you have for her/him? are there toys for her to play with? what kind of feed do you have him on (is it the same kind that she/he was on before you bought her/him?)

I don't check this very often, so email me if you need help,

playsunnysea@gmail.com

Carmen

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos

lovebeingmom2
by Member on Apr. 16, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Sometimes birds make a different noise when they are content / happy....my birds (conures) make a sweet sound when they are happy and get all fluffed up and "cute". When they are unhappy they scream for attention and when they become distressed their cries are very shrill and urgent sounded which is an alert that an intruder is present. Since your bird is very young still i'd keep an ear out and make sure it's not maybe an upper respiratory infection or something like that. I'm not sure what that would sound like in a bird. I hope this helps a bit though for future references anyway. Don't be surprised if everyday you may hear a different cry, scream, chirp, or whistle from your little feathered kid.

preview image

preview image

sarahtaj
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM

ok so it fluffing up is ok? i read it could be a disease and got scared, but he/she?(how can I tell?) is eating great. is there an amount when they eat too much? it seems as if my bird ALWAYS wants to eat. Also how do I know if it is enjoying us or not? It makes this same kind of sreetching noise all the time. when we hold it, and when it's just hanging out on it's cage it starts doing it like it wants attention, and then sometimes i think it's just hungry. And is there a way to potty train him/her? i know it can be done, does anyone have a way to do this? thanks for all information.  

Sarah Mother to Triston Alexander - Age 3

Pregnant with Landon William due Aug. 11th

websorceress
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Quoting sarahtaj:

ok so it fluffing up is ok? i read it could be a disease and got scared, but he/she?(how can I tell?) is eating great. is there an amount when they eat too much? it seems as if my bird ALWAYS wants to eat. Also how do I know if it is enjoying us or not? It makes this same kind of sreetching noise all the time. when we hold it, and when it's just hanging out on it's cage it starts doing it like it wants attention, and then sometimes i think it's just hungry. And is there a way to potty train him/her? i know it can be done, does anyone have a way to do this? thanks for all information.  

LOL first bird? I highly recommend a book on cockatiels......it will help you get through your first one..........birds screech, it's what they do, it's their way of talking...........if you have a female, they are good screechers.........if it's a male, it may pick up a few words or teach it to whistle songs. Mine whistles the tune to blues clues lol.....and a few other things.

Birds know when to eat, let him eat all day long if he wants, they won't eat when they are not hungry..........give it some table food, chicken, veggies, fruit, eggs, potatoes, pop corn, no beef or pork and no processed junk foods, like cake. Some birds like some things, other birds other things. My bird will not eat fruit, at all.........he loves his meat, potatoes and veggies.

Fluffy up is a way to warm themselves and make themselves comfy, they sleep that way.........my birds are put in for a nap, a low light on, from around 7 to midnight..........it's what I call their down time..........we are up late so don't go by the midnight rule..........pick a good time for their bedtime that works for your house hold......cover them up for their overnight sleep. I don't cover them for their nap, they know when they take it.........

If they are eating and chirping they are happy.........and yes, he/she is probably trying to get your attention when they screech...............even when you hold them, they are talking to you, talk back to them, they like a slightly higher pitched voice and tend to favor females, in many cases..........

When a bird becomes ill, they will fluff up and sleep most of the day for several days in a row...........birds do not show their weaknesses, in the wild that would kill them.........so you may not know he is ill for several days into the sickness.............but don't get alarmed if he/she has a quiet day and sleeps all day, it's normal, especially during moulting season.........

I have a parakeet who won't chirp at all, not one little chirp for 5 straight weeks during spring and winter moulting seasons..........he's very mopey during those 5 weeks, as soon as it's over, he's back to normal........

Good luck with the bird, don't worry so much and have fun!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)