Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is our new baby, Jessie

Posted by on May. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Unfortunately, Jackie keeps pecking at him showing her dominance.  Not sure what to do about that.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?  I WOULD LIKE TO GET THEM INTO THE SAME CAGE.

by on May. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
websorceress
by on May. 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM

awwwww he is too cute. Let him peck, it's part of being a bird.........doesn't mean he is biting........if you see biting or blood, separate them.........it's natural for tiels to peck...........the new one is very young and the older one will keep him in line and show him who is boss.........you know, that' pecking order stuff lol........are they in the same cage? If so, make sure the baby is allowed to eat. Sometimes the more aggressive one will hog all the food.........

The new one looks like a female pearl? How old, about 7 or 8 weeks?

How many birds do you have now????? lol........

marihand
by on May. 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I wish you wouldn't have said female.  We wanted her to be a male.  And yes, he's about 8 weeks now.  I'm supposed to hand feed him once a day until Friday, then, let him eat his food for about a week, take him back to the store and they will make sure he/she's gaining weight.  And, then, if so, I can put them together in the same cage. 

The pecking seems aggressive.  Like she pecks while bawking.  But, the baby just keeps wanting to be w/her.  We get nervous when the older one pecks, we think it's too aggressive.  Will it stop? 

We just have the two birds and we were hoping the baby was a male so they could mate next year because the older one is female.  I'll be very disappointed if the baby is a male because they claimed at the store they didn't know.  But, being that it's only a tropical bird store, they would have known and just wanted to make the sale.  She kept calling her a "she" at the store but said we wouldn't be able to tell until after the first molt.  What am I going to do w/2 females?  How will I ever be able to find a male tiel to mate?

What's the difference between biting and pecking because she seems to bite?

websorceress
by on May. 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Quoting marihand:

I wish you wouldn't have said female.  We wanted her to be a male.  And yes, he's about 8 weeks now.  I'm supposed to hand feed him once a day until Friday, then, let him eat his food for about a week, take him back to the store and they will make sure he/she's gaining weight.  And, then, if so, I can put them together in the same cage. 

The pecking seems aggressive.  Like she pecks while bawking.  But, the baby just keeps wanting to be w/her.  We get nervous when the older one pecks, we think it's too aggressive.  Will it stop? 

We just have the two birds and we were hoping the baby was a male so they could mate next year because the older one is female.  I'll be very disappointed if the baby is a male because they claimed at the store they didn't know.  But, being that it's only a tropical bird store, they would have known and just wanted to make the sale.  She kept calling her a "she" at the store but said we wouldn't be able to tell until after the first molt.  What am I going to do w/2 females?  How will I ever be able to find a male tiel to mate?

What's the difference between biting and pecking because she seems to bite?

I can't be 100% sure but so far it looks like a female..........females screech and males have a stronger voice, another way to know..........but no guarantees at this age.

The older bird is angry right now because you bought another bird into the house that looks like him.............right now he's testing the waters.............unfortunately, the baby isn't fighting back so the older one will be dominating.........just watch for blood.........I would say keep them apart for awhile in seperate cages........so they can see each other but not be able to touch each other.........keep them apart for a few weeks........the older will get the hint and hopefully they will get along.........it does take a while though........

It's like bringing a cat into a home with other cats, they are cautious of each other, it's their territory, that's all your bird is doing now..........cockatiels are really one of the less threantening birds around......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)