Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just got a quaker parrot with a splayed leg- any advice

Posted by on May. 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

I got a 9 week old quaker parrot last night. He has a splayed leg. He is so sweet. He's in a big cage and I moved most of the rope perches down towards the bottom along with toys and a happy hut. His food and water dishes are down there too.

Anything else I can do to make things easier for him?

Vickie: Mom to Katie 1/4/95 nonverbal,g-tube, mentally handicapped Blues Clues loving girl and Sara 5/5/97 -my caring and sensitive young lady who loves Bratz , Hannah Montana and Club Penguin- Married to Ed - who has got to be the most patient man if he can put up with the 3 of us girls!
by on May. 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
websorceress
by on May. 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM

awwww poor thing. Has the vet seen him? they can try to fix many of those issues, if he is young enough...........

good luck with him?

ksmomof2girls
by on May. 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I haven't taken him yet- I have an appt on Monday. The breeder I got him from said she thinks he's too old now- I guess you are supposed to start treating it around by 14 days old for it to do any good. He's over 9 weeks old now. The vet tech I spoke to said the same thing but depending on how bad it is, the vet may try casting it if I want to try that. They also said he'd be fine like he is- just need to set up the cage different - lower everything and use ladders and platforms to help him get around the cage.

I'm getting him a different cage tomorrow- one that is much wider so he has a lot more room on the bottom. I already use rope perches and they are supposed to be easier for them to grab on to so I am getting more of those.

Vickie: Mom to Katie 1/4/95 nonverbal,g-tube, mentally handicapped Blues Clues loving girl and Sara 5/5/97 -my caring and sensitive young lady who loves Bratz , Hannah Montana and Club Penguin- Married to Ed - who has got to be the most patient man if he can put up with the 3 of us girls!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)