Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here!!

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

Hey ladies!

I'm new here...I recently got my very first bird. He's a parakeet (budgie) named Marley. His name is Marley cause I got him on clearance lol. My friend works at Petco and she said they always run the "leftovers" on clearance once all the "pretty" ones have been sold so they can get more in. I thought that was soo sad! Lol.

But anyway, I digress. I just joined this group because like I said, I've never had a bird of any type before and I'm dying to learn everything I can about them!!

Thanks in advance ladies!

I'm Ashley...Mama to:

Ivy: My  goofy little breast-fed, naturally birthed, midwife caught, organic munchin, never CIO, , vax-free toddler princess...The best Mother's Day gift ever!

Kyli: My water lovin, spit fire, tomboy, comedian, pre-teen red-headed stepchild :-)

Jelly Bean: Future home-birthed suprise due sometime around the 1st of the year!

by on Jun. 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
playsunnysea
by Member on Jun. 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM
That is messed up, about the "clearance pets". Makes me angry whenever people treat animals like merchandise. They are living breathing creatures! However, I am glad Marley has a good mommy to share his life with now! Lucky bird! Welcome to the group!

Carmen

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos

lovebeingmom2
by Member on Jun. 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Welcome here! A budgie is a great starter bird...require very little but could use lots of love and attention. I own a budgie as well as 2 conures...all my birds are spoiled pampered brats. But budgies make great pets. My first budgie talked alot and loved to eat lots of things. His name was Peepers but he died awhile back. My budgie now is 7 years old and does talk but doesn't eat anything but seeds though I try to introduce good foods to him. But he seems healthy anyway. My conures love fruits, vegies, and whole grains. They love everything actually but I only feed them healthy foods. Birds need to be groomed on a regular basis. I trim my birds nails and sometimes their wings but not always to keep stress levels down. I also trim my conures beaks when needed but a budgie rarely need this to be done. I take them to a specialized avian vet tech for these things and once a year they see an avian vet for check-ups. Birds have senstivie upper respiratory systems so drafts can cause colds and air freshners and house cleaners can kill birds.. just be careful not to be close to your birds when using such things...hope this helps..Glad to see you joined...good luck!

preview image

preview image

actionmom80
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Good for you! And welcome to the group :) I've read that only male budgies talk and only when they are the onlt bugie. A budgie holds the record for most words, even above African Greys. Look up Charlie on Youtube-he's a cute little chatterbox, past away a few years ago :( but his memory lives on.
ma2b08
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Yeah! It is...They are usually, I think 21.95 at my local PetCo, and I saw they were on sale for $12 with your PALS rewards card. So I went to get one, cause I'd always wanted one and thought, why not? So I got there and they had greeen ones and yellow ones, it didnt matter to me what it looked like so I just told the girl to give me which ever one she could catch first. She pulled out a gorgeous bright yellow one (with a big green spot on his belly which I think is cool).

When I went to check out, my friend was working at the register and she told me that when they order them, they cant specify colors, they can just get "50 parakeets" or whatever. And it's luck of the draw which ones they get. They sell them for 22, and everyone buys the purple, the blue, the "pretty" ones...then when all that's left is yellow and green, they mark them down so they can order more pretty ones!

I thought that was so sad!!! It makes me want to go back at the end of every batch and buy up all the "ugly" (but I think they're beautiful) birds, to keep them from people who are only buying them cause they're cheap. *sigh*

I love my Marley bird! He/She (I'm not sure) is sooo much fun! It was a slow start getting him tamed down, cause he's a pet store bird who probably came from some mass-production bird factory somewhere...He acted as though he'd never been touched before...But he is an absolute lover now! He is so much fun. My 13 month old thinks he is the most amazing thing since sliced bread (but she's not allowed to hold him, dont worry! lol)

Quoting playsunnysea:

That is messed up, about the "clearance pets". Makes me angry whenever people treat animals like merchandise. They are living breathing creatures! However, I am glad Marley has a good mommy to share his life with now! Lucky bird! Welcome to the group!

I'm Ashley...Mama to:

Ivy: My  goofy little breast-fed, naturally birthed, midwife caught, organic munchin, never CIO, , vax-free toddler princess...The best Mother's Day gift ever!

Kyli: My water lovin, spit fire, tomboy, comedian, pre-teen red-headed stepchild :-)

Jelly Bean: Future home-birthed suprise due sometime around the 1st of the year!

lovebeingmom2
by Member on Jul. 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM

You can tell what the sex is on a parakeet by the color of the cere on it's nose...if it's brown It's a female...if it's blue or purple it's a male...but that may depend if your parakeet is still a baby...the colors change once they become mature.  My Pe'pe's cere is blueish purplish which makes him a male...Males are also longer in length than females and though I've heard only male birds talk that just a myth. I had female birds too (not at this time) and they talked too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)